VMware Cloud Community
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Linux enhanced vmxnet tweaks

I installed the Linux driver in a Suse 10 guest. Everything works fine.

However, it doesn't seem to be any different than when I used E1000 Driver. So I wanted to tweak the suse guest to see if I can get better performance.

I did enable jumbo frames on the ESX host, and everything else, but I wanted to know if something could be done to fully take advantage of the driver inside the guest.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
emba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi rparker,

in the last weeks i did performance tests with vmxnet and e1000 on windows and linux, both 32bit and 64bit. what i got was better performance results with less cpu usage when using vmxnet. changing with VI 3.5 vmxnet is also available for 64bit os. the benefits come when you do V2V tests as well as when reaching 700-800MBit/sec - this is where you will see differences between paravirtualized and non-paravirtualized drivers

cu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
emba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi rparker,

in the last weeks i did performance tests with vmxnet and e1000 on windows and linux, both 32bit and 64bit. what i got was better performance results with less cpu usage when using vmxnet. changing with VI 3.5 vmxnet is also available for 64bit os. the benefits come when you do V2V tests as well as when reaching 700-800MBit/sec - this is where you will see differences between paravirtualized and non-paravirtualized drivers

cu

0 Kudos