VMware Cloud Community
goodface
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Linked mode setup

we are using two vcenter 6.5 . two vcenter joined same domain controller and same networl . now i want to create linked mode both server. how to setup all. i cant find any step by step document. so i dont want to install all vcenter again so just need edit and setup linked mode for our vcenters

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

1. Install external PSC Controller

1.a. If you are using vCenter Appliance : Product Walkthroughs - Install External PSC with VCSA

1.b. If you are using vCenter on Windows : Install a Platform Services Controller on Windows

2. Repoint vCenters to External PSC Controller

2.a. For Windows based vCenter : How to repoint vCenter Server 6.0 to a new External Platform Services Controller (PSC)? | Settlersom... 

2.b. For vCenter Appliance : How to repoint vCenter Server 6.x between External PSC within a site (2113917) | VMware KB

Once you do these steps, Enhanced linked mode will be enabled.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Do you have embedded or seperate PSC controllers for these vCenters.

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

vCenter 6.x does not use linked mode anymore, now it is replaced by enhanced linked mode which is dependent on the PSC how you deployed it. For more information you  may refer the following articles, you are not required to run linked mode utility to add VCs under linked mode as it was in 5.x.

Enhanced Linked Mode Overview

https://blogs.vmware.com/consulting/2015/03/vsphere-datacenter-design-vcenter-architecture-changes-v...

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
goodface
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i install defoult vcenter settings for both.  they are vcsa 6.5  ( vCenter Server with an embedded Platform Services Controller ) how to config linked mode

I will re-install or I will change the settings via the vCenter web client ?

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You have to reinstall the second PSC and point it to the first PSC using option to add it to existing SSO domain. When the second PSC points to the first PSC the vCenters will be linked.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
goodface
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We use vmware vsphere replication and vmware srm in our environment. so do you offer linked mode in this structure ? and i didnt understand how to do linked mode install in our enviroment

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When you will deploy new PSC and repoint your both vCenters to it, it will create enhanced linked mode itself.

So you have to do the following.

1. Deploy a fresh new PSC controller.

2. Repoint both vCenters to this new PSC controller.

for replication and SRM, need to check your setup/config for these products you have configured because these will query lookup service which is handled by PSC.

0 Kudos
goodface
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

do you have a document and video for these ?

thanks

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

1. Install external PSC Controller

1.a. If you are using vCenter Appliance : Product Walkthroughs - Install External PSC with VCSA

1.b. If you are using vCenter on Windows : Install a Platform Services Controller on Windows

2. Repoint vCenters to External PSC Controller

2.a. For Windows based vCenter : How to repoint vCenter Server 6.0 to a new External Platform Services Controller (PSC)? | Settlersom... 

2.b. For vCenter Appliance : How to repoint vCenter Server 6.x between External PSC within a site (2113917) | VMware KB

Once you do these steps, Enhanced linked mode will be enabled.

sawag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK. What will happend in this case if the site in which we have PSC is down in any case? We are also not using SRM and any type of vm replication to DR site.

Thanks

0 Kudos