VMware Cloud Community
Gap11
Contributor
Contributor

Licensing question

I recently took over an existing VMWare envirnment and while checking what we are licesnsed for I came across

vCenter Server 4 Essentials for Retail and Branch Offices (10) Instances

I am trying to figure out what exactly this is but am having a hard time of it.

I see there is a "VMware vSphere 4.1 Essentials for Retail and Branch Offices" am I to assume this is the same thing ?

If so then can somone explain to me what the limitations are on this license ?

The description says "6P licenses of VMware Hypervisor or VMware Hypervisor for use on up to 3 2P hosts per site" What does that mean ?

Also it Says "Essentials for locally managing up to 3 hosts" So I can only add 3 Hosts into VCenter which makes sense but then I read the White paper on licensing and it says the same thing plus it cover 10 sites and you have to buy additional sites iff you want more.

Ok so then what is a site ? is it a host ? is it a VM ? What am I missing ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Here's a link to compare:

"6P licenses of VMware Hypervisor hypervisor or VMware for use on up to 3 2P hosts per site

6P - 6 Processor

3 2P hosts - 3 hosts with two processor (socket) each host - Example 2 Quad Core in one server physical.

"Also it Says" Essentials for managing locally up to 3 hosts "So I Can only

add 3 Hosts Into Which makes sense VCenter But then I read the White

Paper on licensing and it says it The Same Thing plus cover 10 sites and

you Have to buy additional sites iff you want more.

Ok so then what is the site? is it the host? Is it a VM? What am I missing? "

Do not understand your question ..... can you explain better?!

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
Gap11
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for explaining and that chart does help somewhat.

But what is unclear is when I look at my actually license on the VMWare website it reads like this. Copy and pasted

vCenter Server 4 Essentials for Retail and Branch Offices 1 LICENSE KEY(s) 10 INSTANCE(s)

What is considered an instance ?

OR when I read here http://store.vmware.com/store?Action=DisplayPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=vmware&id=ProductDetai... it referes to 10 packages.

Instance=packag=site= I dunno it is confusing me

So can I have 3 physical servers running as many VMs as I want or 10x3=30 pysical servers running VMS.

Maybe it means 3 physical servers running a maximum of 10 VMs in Vcenter ?

0 Kudos
Gap11
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I think I finally after doing much reading figured out the answer. I have to say it should not have had to been this difficult to figure out.

*vCenter Server 4 Essentials for Retail and Branch Offices 1 LICENSE KEY(s)10 INSTANCE(s)**

So really that means 3 hosts per office times 2 CPUs max per server times 10 packages or instances would come out to a total of 60 CPUs

That would explain why our other license says

*vSphere 4 Essentials for Retail and Branch Offices 1 LICENSE KEY(s)60 CPU(s)**

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

please assigns points according to the help received

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos