VMware Cloud Community
jarends3
Contributor
Contributor

Licensing question

We currently have 8 CPUs licenses for VirtualCenter, Vmotion, HA, etc and have a total of 4 dual CPU boxes in our VI setup.

Since ESXi is now free, we tried bringing up an ESi box just for fun, and want to manage it through VirtualCenter.

Since we don't have the budget for more FC HBAs, the ESX3i boxes will just be for testing and stuff, but it'd be nice to manage them through VirtualCenter. I'm confused what licensing we would need to buy to do this. Is there an inexpensive VirtualCenter only license? The ESXi boxes will just be using local disks for storage so this is a fairly low key thing.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The free ESXi has no other licenses other than run ESXi - to be able to manage it via VC or run HA or DRS you will need to buy those additional licenses -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
jarends3
Contributor
Contributor

The free ESXi has no other licenses other than run ESXi - to be able to manage it via VC or run HA or DRS you will need to buy those additional licenses -

Did you read my post? Smiley Happy I realize the free license does not include

these additional features.

What I am asking is what license do we need simply for VC? As I stated I

don't need Vmotion or HA for the ESXi servers.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

ok I see - you would just have to buy a standalone VC client license - I do not know if vmware has a special price or not

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hi

Theres a foundation VC licence which is the lowest you can purchase.

If you need a price, give me a private message.

Good Luck

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos