VMware Cloud Community
KNardi
Contributor
Contributor

Licensing...UGH

We are running 2.0.2 VIC and I thought I had the right number of licenses entered, but when trying to add another ESX server I get the "No more licenses available" error box.

I look at the admin/licenses area and I believe the VIC isn't reading my licenses in correctly.

Do we need to upgrade to the latest VIC?

We are running a blend of 3.0.2 and 3.0.1 ESX servers

any help or advise is welcome

0 Kudos
10 Replies
rbugles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Beware of upgrading your VC to 2.5 if you have 3.0.1 hosts in your environment. You will need to upgrade those hosts to at least 3.0.2 before VC 2.5 can install its agent and manage them.

BUT... the meat of your question is about the licensing... It appears that the licensing server is reading your licenses correctly, have you pointed your ESX hosts at the license server?

Rob

0 Kudos
zmclean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you look at the license file closely to verify all the products you have are listed? Might try downloading the license file again from Vmware.com.

Z-Bone
0 Kudos
KNardi
Contributor
Contributor

Yes my ESX servers are pointed to the license server.

With every license I have downloaded they appear correct when adding to the VIC.

We recently added a few ESX servers at once...but the licenses were DL'ed and added.

Strange problem

0 Kudos
zmclean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How many server should be listed on the licensing tab?

Z-Bone
0 Kudos
KNardi
Contributor
Contributor

Well we have 18 ESX servers....but isn't licensing done by the PROC?

0 Kudos
zmclean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes i think its one license for every 2 processors in a server. You have 18 the server show 6? Are the rest of the server functioning properly?

Z-Bone
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

And let me guess the 18 ESX hosts are quad processor? Yes you are correct the licenses except for VC are per processor (you can read this as physical socket) - I am looking at your vmotion licenses you have 80 total with 8 remaining that means the 18 hosts are quad proc - which also balances against the VCB license - where you are short are your ESX licenses and VC Agent License - both show you have total 6 licenses and all are used - you ppear to be 66 licenses short for these two license pools - so either it is not reading the license file correctly or the license file is incorrect - the LIC file is a text file and you should be able to read it with wordpad or notepad and should be able to discern how many licenses you have

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
KNardi
Contributor
Contributor

Now hear is where the weirdness comes in. All but 1 server function correctly. That's the server that cannot be added because of "Not enough licenses".

We have 68 total Procs, so you can see why this have me confused.

With every server, I have gone to VMWARE and licensed the server, recieved the .lic file and pasted it to the end of the last one. Reread the license file, restarted the VIC and Everythig was fine...or at least I thought it was.

Something happened in the past 2 months. We rebooted our ESX servers one weekend and one wouldn't come up in the VIC because of the license issue.

Thanks to all and any help is appreciated

0 Kudos
Frank_Poelert
Contributor
Contributor

The admin/license area does not always show the correct information.

After rebooting the VC server, all information information in this screen is lost. That is because the license server itself can't remember which hosts have taken licenses from it.

The host will register with the license server automatically when their lease expires and the information will be there again.

If you want to restore this information manually you have to open the license source configuration dialog and click OK for every host (configuration - licensed features - license source - edit).

BTW. In the VMware License Server directory there should be a tool called lmtools.exe.

You can use this tool to check your license files. It will show the total number of licenses and the ones that have been used.

It will rule out any VC client bugs, but not the strange behaviour of the license server itself Smiley Sad

Frank

0 Kudos
KNardi
Contributor
Contributor

sounds like some good advice.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos