VMware Cloud Community
scoutt42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Licensing Key Confusion

I am really confused on the license keys shown when I view license keys. I see 9 sets of keys for 4.x. Verifying we have all keys entered in vCenter. We have one key that holods 12 cpu's but it is not in the list of license keys. But if I view Serial Number Lookup I see the key with 12cpu's and am wondering if it was a combined key. How can we tell what keys where combined? it maybe from 3.x when we combined them. So what is the difference from License Keys and Serail Number Lookup?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

check your Licensing Portal, http://www.vmware.com/support/

In the first tab you'll see all your "License Keys" Click on the (+) sign by the product set and you'll get a drop down. If you see a hyperlink for "divide" you'll know the keys have been consolidated into one license key.  If you see "combine" you should see a list of individual keys.

0 Kudos
scoutt42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thats what I am talking about. I don't see any in my license portal that show 12 cpu's. and the divide button is at the bottom and always there, it doesn't change when I click on the + next to each license.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

They may have been old VI3 licence's.  VI3 was licensed for 2 sockets.  When vSphere4 came out, the licensing changed to key based and single socket licenses.

If you have doubts, you may want to contact your PLA (Primary License Administrator) or VMware Support.

0 Kudos
scoutt42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks, I am the Primary so I will have to contact support. Something is definately wrong.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

let me ask you another question.  Maybe your vCenter server is pointing to a VI3 license source?  Can you check Administration--vCenter Server Settings--Licensing

Anything at the bottom for License Sever?

0 Kudos
scoutt42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In there I see VI3 licenses for License Server. Thats not where I see the key in question. It is under vSphere 4.x Enterprise

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

without having direct access into your infrastructure, I'm just guessing at this point.  Hopefully VMware Support will be able identify what's going on.

0 Kudos
scoutt42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This thread has been answered by support. It was on their end as they had to move some keys around.

Thank you for all who responded.

0 Kudos