VMware Cloud Community
jonodsparks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Licensing Error

I am having troubling adding hosts into VC2. I have a properly setup License Server because I can log into the ESX host directly and point to the server to unlock the ESX Standard features. When done that way Virtual Images can be added and started directly on the host. When I log into the VC server to add the new host, I get an error message saying that I don't have enough licenses to add a host...even though the console says that I have 14 left (2 went to the previously configured ESX server). Even if I reload the ENTIRE setup from scratch, the ESX server, VirtualCenter, License Server, and VI client. This is an eval version sent to me straight from VMWare as a partnership perk.

Any one with ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Verify that you actually have a license for VirtualCenter. That error often indicates that you don't have that license or the agents.

In the licensing section, while connected to the VC server, it is called VirtualCenter Management Server. If that has a license then the other thing to check is to make sure you have the correct number of VirtualCenter Agent for ESX Server licenses.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
williamarrata
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try this, Log into the host thru the Virtual Client. Go into your Configuration tab, Click on the Licenced Features. There make sure you are connecting to the license sever. Hope that helps Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
jonodsparks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I already checked that and no joy.

Thanks though!

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Verify that you actually have a license for VirtualCenter. That error often indicates that you don't have that license or the agents.

In the licensing section, while connected to the VC server, it is called VirtualCenter Management Server. If that has a license then the other thing to check is to make sure you have the correct number of VirtualCenter Agent for ESX Server licenses.

0 Kudos
jonodsparks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

AH!! We may have a winner!

I do not have that license listed, however, I did find a VCMS.lic file that was mailed to me along with VI_centralized.lic and VI_singleHost.lic. When I setup the license server, I pointed to VI_Centralized.lic. How do I point the Management Server to VCMS.lic?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you have the newest version installed, which I imagine you do, you should be able to drop the VCMS.lic file in the same folder that has the other license and then use the license manager service on the VC server to reread the license. The newest version is supposed to have the ability to read multiple license files and I would think that should be enough to get it to work. You could also move the file and then restart the license manager service itself which would cause a reread.

The other way would be to take the contents of that file, minus the header lines, and put them into your existing file. Then do the reread process.

0 Kudos
jonodsparks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I combined the two lic files with EditPlus and restarted the License Server. Everything starting working!!

Thanks a bunch!

0 Kudos