VMware Cloud Community
whit801
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

License server question

We are wiping and rebuilding our vCenter and I had a question about licensing.  Right now our license server is on the same server as our vCenter server, and that will be wiped so we can install 2008 server x64.  When we take this down to rebuild it, am I correct that we have a 14 day grace period to run our VMware system without the license server until we can put the licenses on the new vCenter server 4.1?   Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

if you are migrating to vSphere 4.1 why not consider a virtual vCenter,  this way your current infrastructure is not impacted during migration.  virtual vCenters are fully supported and actually offer a greater level of resiliance than a physical one

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

if you are migrating to vSphere 4.1 why not consider a virtual vCenter,  this way your current infrastructure is not impacted during migration.  virtual vCenters are fully supported and actually offer a greater level of resiliance than a physical one

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

As said above, it is worth considering going VM for your VC.

this gives you a second machine to work on, so you can in theory build the new VC, if you like import the existing Databse (or reconfigure from scratch . . whatever suits) then simply remove ESX hosts from the old VC and add them to the new VC.

You do have a grace period on a fresh VC installation though, so the choice is up to you.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos