VMware Cloud Community
spiox
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

License problem substituting esx host

Hi all,

I've a problem when I try to substitute an esx host.

We have a total of 20 licensed issued, 19 in use (9 esx hosts have 2 cpu, 1 esx host has 1 cpu).

To add a new esx host (I will call esx11), I had to disconnect and remove from VIC one host (I will call esx01).

The result is that esx11 is "unlicensed" and if I perform a "Status Enquiry" using License Server Tools (f.y.i. License Server is installed on Virtual Center), it still reports as licensed the host that I disconnected (esx01).

Any ideas?

Thank you all in advance.

Pio Massaro

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

just because you disconnect will not remove the license. You need to go into the ESX Host, under the configuration tab and licensed features. Edit your license source.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

just because you disconnect will not remove the license. You need to go into the ESX Host, under the configuration tab and licensed features. Edit your license source.

0 Kudos
spiox
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Troy, thanks for the answer.

So, you mean that I have to set as unlicensed the "old" host and then I can remove it, is it?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would remove it from vCenter first, then edit the license source, it will release the remaining features back into your license pool.

0 Kudos
spiox
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It works, thanks a lot.

edited license source and set as evaluation mode;

restarted VMware License Server Service;

performed Status Enquiry on VMware License Server Tools and verified the old host license was removed;

removed fromVC.

Thanks again

Bye

0 Kudos