VMware Cloud Community
stratolynne
Contributor
Contributor

License on vCenter 5.0?

Hi all,

I got through the upgrade of vCenter 4.1 to 5.0.  I chose to do the upgrade leaving the license blank.  When I started up the vi client and got into vCenter, it says Evaluation Mode: Expired. Then I went into my account on VMware and found the license there as already upgraded.  I went back to vCenter and tried to put this license in.  I get this message:

Invalide license key:  License File Not Found.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem is and how to remedy?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

stratolynne wrote:

Hi all,

I got through the upgrade of vCenter 4.1 to 5.0.  I chose to do the upgrade leaving the license blank.  When I started up the vi client and got into vCenter, it says Evaluation Mode: Expired. Then I went into my account on VMware and found the license there as already upgraded.  I went back to vCenter and tried to put this license in.  I get this message:

Invalide license key:  License File Not Found.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem is and how to remedy?

Thanks.

vCenter / ESX 5.0 totally different keys.  Are you trying to add the license for vCenter or the ESX host?

0 Kudos
stratolynne
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter not the ESXi hosts...

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you are sure you are using a vCenter5 key?  It sounds to me like you may be using a vCenter4 key.  The keys in your license portal, do they say "Upgrade Available" or "Downgrade Available"?  If downgrade, that means it's a vSphere5 key.  Also, for us, we use vCenter Standard. Your vCenter version should be identified in your license portal and you should have a "+" sign to expand out and see the key(s)

0 Kudos