VMware Cloud Community
Roysan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

License Server 27000@xx.xx.xx is unavalable after New Inplace VC Installation

Hello, I retired an old VirtualCenter v2.0.2 server and installed VirtualCenter v2.5 on a new server. I was checking the alerts and found that the license server is pointing to the old server. I turned on the old server and the error went away. So why didn't the new installation move the license server to the new Virtual Center Server? How do I move the license server from the old server to the new server so I can retired the old server? Why didn't the installati0n move the license server automtically?

VIC v2.5.0,147704 VirtualCenter v2.5.0,147633 ESX Servers v3.5.0,199239 No SAN 😞
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

These people have helped to solve your issue, please reward then by giving points

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

assuming your vCenter Server is also your license server, did you copy over the .lic file off of your old license server? During the install you would have been asked if you had an existing license server, you should have browsed to the .lic file.

Also, ensure your hosts are pointing the new license source.

Below is a good KB, that you may find useful

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/5850444

Roysan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes my VC server is also the license server. I think I misunterstood what the Installation was asking. I remember pointing the IP address to the old VC server and was hoping that the installation would take care of the rest. I do not remember browsing to the .lic file. I forgot exactly what the license part of the installation looked like. I'll read your link thanks!

VIC v2.5.0,147704 VirtualCenter v2.5.0,147633 ESX Servers v3.5.0,199239 No SAN 😞
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

check your vCenter Server Services, if you don't have the license server service running, then it didn't get installed. You can install it by browsing the vpx folder of the vCenter .iso and installing the Vmware-licenseserver.exe. Just make sure you have the .lic file and when it asks for a license server, point it to the file.

Roysan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Troy, I copied the license folder from the old server to new, there were 3 files, I used vmware.lic. I installed the license server on the new server, picked vmware.lic, then finished the install. I then started VI Client->Administration Button->Licenses tab, and found the the "Virtual License Source:" still says IP address. Its still going to the old address. So I click Inventory->click on one of my 2 ESX servers->Configuration Tab, Licensed Features, changed the IP from my old server to my new server as the "License Source". I did this for both of my servers. I then went back to my Administration->Licenses Tab and found the old IP gone, but "Not Available" at the Virtual License Source. I'm going to shut down the old license server and reboot the new server.

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Take a look on Administration Menu -> Virtual Center Management Configuration & check wtheter your vcms still pointing to the old license server.

System Engineer

Zen Systems Sdn Bhd

Malaysia

www.no-x.org

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
kcdcss
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, that was the last piece of the puzzle, it worked!

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

These people have helped to solve your issue, please reward then by giving points

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos