VMware Cloud Community
dcaperton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

License File and VI Client Questions

In my environment I run VMware Infrastructure 3 enterprise. I have a 3 host cluster configured with HA, DRS and Vmotion. In addition to these systems I have 2 esxi systems I just recently installed. My first question is, can I open the esxi hosts in the same vi client session I use to manage all my esx systems? When I try to add the esxi systems I get a licensing error. This brings me to my second question, can I combine my license files so esxi can use the license server? I'm sure I'm not the only person running the configuration, which makes my wonder, how are other people doing this? Does anyone have any advice or tricks they want to share?

Thanks,

Danny

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kevin_Gao
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

i think you and i had the exact same train of thought...as I said i went through this back in May/June when ESXi wasn't even free yet. I forked out $500 for a USB stick...it's pretty cool and all; got it hooked up to my VC and realized that it took up licenses. chatted with my VM rep for a bit and got the whole picture.

To me ESXi is great if you don't want to deal with the command prompts or want diskless hosts (and you don't want ESX booting off of your SAN). Personally we just added 3 more hosts...they're ESX 3.5 Enterprise...not ESXi. Smiley Happy

PS: Don't get me wrong...I think ESXi is a great product if you've never had any VMware experience before. To me it's a great way to get exposure on VMware. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Kevin_Gao
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You probably don't have enough infrastructure licenses. Please keep in mind that the base default ESXi license does not allow you to connect it to Virtual Center. If you wish to do that then ask your VMware vendor for a Infrastructure connection license. You can check how many hosts you're allowed to manage by looking at your licensing and look for "VC Agent license". Just remember that it goes by 2 CPU's at a time...it doesn't go by hosts.

I have the exact same setup and when I rolled out ESXi back in May / June I ran into the same issue confusion. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My first question is, can I open the esxi hosts in the same vi client session I use to manage all my esx systems?

Yes - it is the same VI Client to access ESX, ESXi and Virtual Center

When I try to add the esxi systems I get a licensing error. This brings me to my second question, can I combine my license files so esxi can use the license server?

The free version of ESXi only includes a license for ESXi and virtual SMP - to add it to VC and utlize vmotion, DRS and HA you will need to buy additional licenses and yes your will be able to combine licenses. I am pretty sure this is how everyone is doing it because it is the only way to do this.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
dcaperton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My first question is, can I open the esxi hosts in the same vi client session I use to manage all my esx systems?

Yes - it is the same VI Client to access ESX, ESXi and Virtual Center

But can I have the free version hosts and the esx hosts open in the same client session? I know that I can open them in separate sessions but I'm lazy and I'd prefer to see them all together.

When I try to add the esxi systems I get a licensing error. This brings me to my second question, can I combine my license files so esxi can use the license server?

>The free version of ESXi only includes a license for ESXi and virtual SMP - to add it to VC and utlize vmotion, DRS and HA you will need to buy additional licenses and yes your will be able to combine licenses. I am pretty sure this is how everyone is doing it because it is the only way to do this.

I understand that I can't use all the enterprise features on the esxi systems. Thats fine with me, but when I go to configure the license on the esxi systems it shows me I can add a license server. I'm just wondering if I can manage the license from a central location like I do the esx systems.

I'm starting to get the feeling you can't really integrate the esxi systems with virtual center at all. This is fine since it's the free version, but I thought I would be able to at least add the hosts to my VI client instead of opening several different sessions...

Danny

0 Kudos
dcaperton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Kevin,

I just reread your post. Are you saying that have a special license that will allow you to add esxi systems to the vi client without adding additional features? I want the free version to stay the free version I just want to add it to VI client.

Danny

0 Kudos
Kevin_Gao
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes you can...as my reply states you still need the VC connection license which are based on processor count. So assuming your ESXi hosts are dual-processors; you need to purchase additional 4 CPU VC infrastructure agent license. It doesn't have HA / VMotion / etc...just a basic connectivity license.

then log into your vmware licensing portal and generate a new license file with the new license information included. update your VC license file and your new hosts should connect fine then.

0 Kudos
Kevin_Gao
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

heh you caught me replying to while you while you posted that question. to answer your question; no it's not a special license.

here's exactly what you'll need:

For the ESXi host, you currently have an ESXi standalone license. To connect it to VirtualCenter, you need to be licensed with a VC Agent. VC Agents are only available in a VMware Infrastructure bundle, be it Foundation, Standard, or Enterprise.

VMware Infrastructure Foundation for 2 processors VI-FND-C $995.00 (I'm guessing you just Foundation license)

also don't forgot you need support subscription as well:

Gold Support/Subscription* for VMware Infrastructure Foundation for 2 Processors VI-FND-G-SSS-C $545.00

To sum it up; ESXi is free...but if you want to connect it to your Virtual Center then you have to buy that VC connectivity license.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thje only way to show multiple ESX hosts is with the use of VIrtual Center - this will let you manage multiple hosts form a single VI client - to add ESXi to VC you will need to buy VC Agent licenses for your ESXi hosts - and the license can either be stored on the host in or in a license server -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
dcaperton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I have to pay for it why would I want to connect the esxi systems to my environment? Wouldn't I just go with the full blown version?..... I guess maybe some people like the small footprint of esxi...

Danny

0 Kudos
Kevin_Gao
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

i think you and i had the exact same train of thought...as I said i went through this back in May/June when ESXi wasn't even free yet. I forked out $500 for a USB stick...it's pretty cool and all; got it hooked up to my VC and realized that it took up licenses. chatted with my VM rep for a bit and got the whole picture.

To me ESXi is great if you don't want to deal with the command prompts or want diskless hosts (and you don't want ESX booting off of your SAN). Personally we just added 3 more hosts...they're ESX 3.5 Enterprise...not ESXi. Smiley Happy

PS: Don't get me wrong...I think ESXi is a great product if you've never had any VMware experience before. To me it's a great way to get exposure on VMware. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
dcaperton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I agree... I don't mind the command line so much but if I have to pay for it I'm not going to use esxi Smiley Happy Thanks for the input.

Danny

0 Kudos
joetr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Licensing

I am confused, Could you please advise

- ESXi is free, understood.

The VI client 2.5, which is inbedded in the product and downloaded

when one connects to the server is free also. Correct?

VirtualCenter 2.5 is not free. Its costs are perportional to the

CPU's addressed by the application.

Have I missed something? All light on this matter would be helpfull.

regards

Joe Trazzera

0 Kudos