VMware Cloud Community
gene_torres
Contributor
Contributor

LMTools and Multiple DENIED and UNSUPPORTED for licenses

So, I currently have enough licenses for everything I have in vCenter 2.5U4. I had an issue yesterday where the license server puked all over itself and I ended up with one host that couldn't be put back into the cluster because vCenter reported that there weren't enough licenses to complete the operation. Whenever this happens, I restart the VirtualCenter service and it works again, however, it's just a workaround, and everytime I take a host out for maintenance mode and try to add it back in, I have to cycle services to get rid of the license error.

I decided to dig a little more into it and verified that on that particular host, there were warnings/errors related to no licenses being available of type esxFull. the host is running fine and vCenter is happy right now, but in the LMTools log I get the following over and over again:

9:56:56 (VMWARELM) DENIED: "VC_DRS" svcvirtualcenter@sea-vcentre01 (4 licenses) (Licensed number of users already reached. (-4,342))

9:56:56 (VMWARELM) DENIED: "VC_DRS" svcvirtualcenter@sea-vcentre01 (4 licenses) (Licensed number of users already reached. (-4,342))

9:57:33 (VMWARELM) DENIED: "VC_DRS" svcvirtualcenter@sea-vcentre01 (4 licenses) (Licensed number of users already reached. (-4,342))

9:57:33 (VMWARELM) DENIED: "VC_DRS" svcvirtualcenter@sea-vcentre01 (4 licenses) (Licensed number of users already reached. (-4,342))

9:57:33 (VMWARELM) UNSUPPORTED: "VC_DRS" (141A C354 DF9B 419A ) svcvirtualcenter@sea-vcentre01 (4 licenses) (License server system does not support this feature. (-18,327))

I read another thread where the solution was re-installing the license server, but I was wondering if anyone has any insight to why this happens and if there's a permanent fix for it. The LMTools utility seems pretty simple, you point it to a license file, it reads it, and provides licenses right?

Anyhow, I can't wait to upgrade to vSphere4 and get rid of the Macrovision utility, but that's not hapenning for a few more months and I need to make sure this thing stays up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you'd like more logs posted.

0 Kudos
0 Replies