VMware Cloud Community
MiteeThoR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just upgraded to VC 2.0.2, how to I get my VMTools up to date on 500 VMs?

Is there a silent, no-reboot, automated method of updating 500 virtual machines? They are a mix of Win 2K3, 2000 server, and XP virtuals. Many can tolerate a reboot but many require change management, scheduled maintenance, etc. I'd rather not fill out 500 change management requests to get the tools updated... is there a better way? Or do I just leave them out of date?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VI3.0 supports mass upgrading Tools on multiple VMs from Virtual Center using a command line utility. Please see the section "Upgrading Hardware and VMware Tools in Multiple Virtual Machines" in chapter 10 of the Virtual Infrastructure Install and Upgrade Guide.

http://www.vmware.com/pdfs/vi3_301_201_installation_guide.pdf

Fyi…if you find this post helpful, please award points using the Helpful/Correct buttons.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website: http://vmware-land.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
doubleH
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

virtual centre doesn't update VMTools. you will just need to upgrade the VI clients if they are installed on any desktops.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VI3.0 supports mass upgrading Tools on multiple VMs from Virtual Center using a command line utility. Please see the section "Upgrading Hardware and VMware Tools in Multiple Virtual Machines" in chapter 10 of the Virtual Infrastructure Install and Upgrade Guide.

http://www.vmware.com/pdfs/vi3_301_201_installation_guide.pdf

Fyi…if you find this post helpful, please award points using the Helpful/Correct buttons.

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website: http://vmware-land.com

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

eric...you've missed the point of this thread. poster was asking how to upgrade VMTools after VC 2.0.2 upgrade. VC doesn't require VMTools to be upgraded. VMTools are are upgraded with ESX patches. the only other product that needs upgrading after the VC upgrade are the VI clients on the desktops. from the last step of the installation steps in the realse notes...

After upgrading the VirtualCenter Server, you must also upgrade all Windows host systems to the upgraded VI Client software. Use the autorun.exe again to start the installer but select Virtual Infrastructure Client from the VMware VirtualCenter Installer startup page.[/i]

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The subject says "update VMware tools" and the content of the post says "automated method of updating 500 virtual machines". I see no mention of the VI Client. My post answered his specific question, your interpretation of it was different. The post is not all that clear, maybe he also installed something else that required a tools upgrade.

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

agreed...post subject line is not clear. subject line covers 2 separte topics that are not related in any way.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well at least he got the benefit of both finding out how to mass upgrade VMware tools when he does need to and also finding out a Tools upgrade is not needed for VC 2.0.2, just a VI Client upgrade.

0 Kudos
MiteeThoR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was a bit unclear. We actually did 2 things recently and I was confused where it came from. This weekend we:

1. Upgraded from VC 2.0.1 to VC 2.0.2

2. Used the VMTS Patch management tool to update all of our ESX 3.0.1 servers from base up to current patch levels

I incorrectly assumed that the VC upgrade had caused the VMTools updates, but that was just because I didn't notice all of my VMTools were out of date until after everything was done.

So yes, I need to update 500 sets of VMTools, although I now know that is because of the patching on the servers and NOT because of the VC upgrade.

0 Kudos