VMware Cloud Community
nathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Join Linked mode fails, Invalid string or buffer length

Hi folks,

I’ve googled this and can’t find and exact match, only similar but very different answers.

I am trying to add a vCenter server into an existing Linked Mode group.

However when running the Join Tool it fails, error below with the key line from the Jointool log.

[<Date> <Time> SEVERE] Operation "Join instance VMwareVCMSDS" failed: : Action: Join Instance Action: Update database java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Invalid string or buffer length

This is a newly built win 2008R2 server, existing linked servers are 2003 R2.

The recovery process and subsequent consistency checks all successfully complete.

The failed new server and Datacenters, Clusters etc. are visible in the old cluster but you cannot see the other vCenter servers when you connect to the new 2008 box with the vCenter client.

Log attached

Many Thanks

Nathan VCP
0 Kudos
4 Replies
GavinY
Contributor
Contributor

This sounds a SQL driver or clients issue.

Have you tested using different versions of SQL drivers or SQL native clients?

0 Kudos
nathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I understand what you are saying but there is no option to change these drivers with the Linked mode installer, we are running Oracle DB so I don't want to upset this either.

How would you change the driver when there is no option to select the SQL driver with the Linked mode tool?

Nathan VCP
0 Kudos
nathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All sorted, it seems that the Join tool on 2008 was not stopping the vmware services and this was causing the error.

I also corrected some errors in the ADAM DB via ADSI edit, that was fun :smileysilly:.

Nathan VCP
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Im having the same issue, can you PM me your FIX please.

0 Kudos