VMware Cloud Community
allb18c
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

JDK 1.6 and sqljdbc4.jar requirements for 4.1 upgrade scenario

Hi all,

I'm looking at the offical 4.1 upgrade document and i see the following bullet point:

"To use a Microsoft SQL database, JDK 1.6 must be installed on the vCenter Server machine. In addition,

sqljdbc4.jar must be added to the CLASSPATH variable on the machine where vCenter Server is to be

upgraded."

I've never done this before and wondering if anyone else has either done this or have more information on this? Is it as easy as it states? Install JDK and add the path variable? Our current vCenter 4.0 is running on x64 O/S so it looks like this definitely applies.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I believe if these packages are not installed onto your vCenter Host OS, the vCenter install media will install for you automatically before going into the actual install of vCenter itself.

0 Kudos
skywalkr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We have an upgrade scheduled in the next few days and chasing this one down based on the docs is confusing.

Can anyone CONFIRM this?

In the docs it lists the JDK 1.6 as a prereq for MS SQL DB use... it says nothing about installing it for you or altering the CLASSPATH in the docs.

Is this the JDK SE  6 Update 27 or the JDK EE 6 Update 27?  It does not say Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition?  And more searching is only getting nowhere.

Thanks!  GC Mobley

Later, GC Mobley
0 Kudos
skywalkr
Contributor
Contributor

Opened SR w/ VMware Support.

The support person clarified that the vSphere v5 vCS installs this JDK 1.6 as part of the vCS install and makes the changes to CLASSPATH.  General users need to do nothing.

He also said he would pass along to the doc team the need to clarify the statement per above in that section.

He explained it is there mainly for those installations which have advanced or separate JDK installs already on the system.

Later, GC Mobley

Later, GC Mobley
0 Kudos