VMware Cloud Community
spravtek
Expert
Expert

JDBC error upgrading vCenter to 5.1

I searched high and low, went through all the previous posts I could find, but can't get past this pesky JDBC error while upgrading the vCenter 5.0 to 5.1.

The SSO bit went without any issue, but this one has me stumped.

Whatever I try, I keep getting "Could not connect to the database with specified JDBC url"

I tried changing the url to whatever, according to this but that doesn't help.

The logs can't give me any clue either ... The only thing I'm seeing is this "VMTestDBConnection:: error code returned 1 while launching vimtool.bat"

I changed the DSN to use the sa account explicitly, no dice ... Testing the DSN is always succesful (both 64 and 32 bit)

Triple checked the SQL configuration manager for the TCP/IP settings, all correct.

If anyone has another thing I can try ... I'm all ears ...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ETastic
Contributor
Contributor

Restarted SQL servcies?

Password complexity and are you using SQL or windows auth as well?

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Yep, services have been restarted more than once, the security is all ok too. SQL/Windows auth.

I changed passwords to be sure, but no dice...

0 Kudos
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you ever get a solution to this?  I'm experiencing the same issue when attempting to upgrade from 5.1 to 5.5.

Thx

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

JDBC connectivity to the database using the generated JDBC URL failed. Please enter the URL to ensure that it connects to the desired database.

Cause

This issue occurs if the SQL server listening port is not listening on the default port 1433.

Resolution

During the vCenter Server installation, the installer generates and validates the JDBC URL for the database. If the installer fails to connect to the database using the generated JDBC URL, the installer prompts you to specify the JDBC URL. When prompted for JDBC URL in the vCenter Server installation wizard, specify the port using this URL format and connect to the named instance by hostname and port:

jdbc:sqlserver://host:port;databaseName=database

Ensure to connect to the local server with integrated security:

jdbc:sqlserver://localhost\\SQLEXP_VIM;databaseName=VIM_VCDB;integratedSecurity=true

0 Kudos