VMware Cloud Community
steffanhr
Contributor
Contributor

Issues with increasing disk size using edit hw while deploying vm from template

vCenter 5.0

ESXi 5.0

All patched.

Basic template set up with on 50GB disk.

Template name Win 2008 R2 50GB stored in datastore D2.C2.02.05\Win 2008 R2 50GB\Win 2008 R2 50GB.vmdk

I choose to deploy new machine from template. And choose to edit virtual harware before creating VM. I increase the disk size to 60GB.

When I deploy the VM, a new VMDK is created in datastore D2.C2.00.05\NewVM\NewVM.vmdk

However, when I look at the config the new VM uses the template vmdk as its disk, and not the newly created VMDK

Posted screenshots and VMX file.

In the GUI overview section two datastores are listed. I only see the one disk in the properties windows and vmx file.

I am able to reproduce the error.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do not edit the harware while deploying the new VM. Extend the hardisk post successfully completion of new VM installation.

Also please check if datastore contains the newly created VMDK file.

KC

0 Kudos
steffanhr
Contributor
Contributor

I know this feature has been experimental since 3.x. However since the feature is there it think it's good to let the community know it will ruin your template if you try this.

When I deploy the VM a new VMDK file is created in the correct location, however the .VMX file does not point to the new VMDK file but to the VMDK file of the template.

0 Kudos
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This should not happen. Check the template or recreate the new one. Also let us know which options u are selecting while deploying new VM.

KC

0 Kudos
steffanhr
Contributor
Contributor

The template is a basic 2008 R2 installation, no customization just windows updates. I re-created the template yesterday after my previous template got ruined,

When I deploy a new vm from template I leave all the basic values\options except the edit virtual hw and increase disk.

Why don't you try it in your environment, see if you get the same result? Remember to clone your template first Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

power off the VM and then clone it to template. We have not yet faced such kind of issue in past.

Seems to be some configuration issue. Check for the same. Deploying the VM , is always using newly created VMDK file. If you are looking for the same configuraiton for VM as per template then no need to edit the hardware.

As I mentioned above , harddisk can be extend post successful VM installation. And it is WIN 2008 , in which you can extend the hardisk online.

KC

0 Kudos
steffanhr
Contributor
Contributor

Did you try it in your datacenter? Did you get the same result?

I know about extending a disk post install.Thank you.

0 Kudos
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have so many templates, which we are using regularly but never faced this issue.

Smiley Happy

KC

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ive personally seen this alot in the past...... This was in ESX 3.5/ vCenter 2.5.

Here's an blog post from 2008 which also describes this issue: http://xtravirt.com/xd10070

Funny that this issue still exists...

/Rubeck

steffanhr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link Smiley Happy

It acurately describes the situation I am experiencing.

I am still wondering if anyone else has this problem with vc 5.0.

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yep... I see this problem too..  🙂

Just tried it out in my cluster in-a-box which runs in VMware Workstation..   I can confirm that this is still an issue..

/Rubeck