VMware Cloud Community
djenn40
Contributor
Contributor

Issues Migrating VM's to New Lun in VI 2.0

I was tasked with move about 28 vm's from two pre-existing luns to 4 new luns that we set up for virts. I was able to migrate about 22 with little problem this past Saturday. The remaining six displayed the following behaviour:

I was able to shut the vm's down and select migrate. The process would run and get to 100% and then hang for about 15 secs and then I would get an error stating that an error occured: internal error. If I tried to power on the machine I would get an error stating that the machine name was invalid or never existed. If I tried a second time to power on the machine it came up fine.

In an effort to circumvent this I shut down one of the vm's and removed it from inventory. I then used Veeam (2.0) and copy the information from one lun to another. I then re-added it to inventory and powered it on. I'm no able to ping the server and access applications on the server, but I'm not able to see the console in VI. When I try to access the console I get an error stating:

Error Connecting: You need execute access in order to connect with the VMware Console. Access denied for config file: /path/server.vmx Do you want to try again?

It seemed like a permissions issue to me but everyone who tries to access the console gets the same message. Checked the permission on the folder and it shows as rwxr-....

I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on what's going on w/ the servers. The strange thing is my boss was able to move one of the servers that gave the initial problem yesterday morning w/o any permissions and we have the same levels of permissions in VI.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
robertdk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In a simular problem I had in moving VMs from one LUN to another, I decided tClone the VM then move/migrate the clone.

For the message that the VM already exists, scan your target LUN for left over files from the failed migration. Don't use the GUI. Use a console access or tools like putty and winFTP.

If a rights issue occurs you may need to chmod the files to full open access. We had one esx Host which had higher rights imposed that required a change in the migrated VM's rights.

0 Kudos
djenn40
Contributor
Contributor

That's a good idea about Cloning the VM's to the new LUN. I'll see if we can do that to remedy the original issue.

With respect to the second suggestion, can I open putty from within veeam and do that or would I have to go to the console of one of the ESX servers?

0 Kudos
robertdk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You'd use putty to connect to the esxHost. Most of the time from the server with the Virtual Center installed on it.

I had a couple of VMs that appeared to be corrupted and cloning brought a resolution. You can also clone and then migrate.

0 Kudos