VMware Cloud Community
dchmax
Contributor
Contributor

Issue with deploying Windows 2008 R2 from a customized template

I'm having an issue with deploying a W2K8 R2 server from a customized template. I start out by building a W2K8 R2 VM from scratch, install tools, and install patches. Once the VM was shutdown I converted it to a template. When deploying without customizations I have no issues. When I use customization I get the following message.....

"autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK"

....then BSOD

"STOP: C000021a Fatal System Error

The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a"

and the process repeats. Any direction at this point would be wondering. Thanks in advance.

David

0 Kudos
26 Replies
ebaisa
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for posting this. I had this issue, and this totally resolved it. (After a 24 hour clone, this saved some time).

0 Kudos
EAIabach
Contributor
Contributor

I had this issue recently.  The issue was that the clone operations was running against a VM that was powered on.  If your VM is not powered on, check that it is registered correctly.  There is a current bug/KB where if vCenter service is restarted the templates registration can become defunt (noted by the property collector error if you try to convert the template to/from vm or edit settings etc).

0 Kudos
HarryR76
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

encountered the same problem - creating the template from the powered off VM did not help. Solution was in clearing the volume attribute as gjacknow suggested.

Thanks a lot

Harry

0 Kudos
gjacknow
Contributor
Contributor

Glad people are finding this useful.

0 Kudos
drussell10
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know how someone figured this out, but your post saved my butt.   I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
knudhove
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
keiooz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing your recent experience on this problem. This resolution works for me.

0 Kudos