VMware Cloud Community
McCloudonCloud
Contributor
Contributor

Issue with Lab Environment - When Logging into vCenter 7.0 get DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

I've got a lab environment with Windows AD and vCenter 7.0. Everything was working fine until two days ago when I attempted to log into vCenter using Chrome and got the error "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN".  I get this error with any system I attempt to log in with and essentially the same error with any browser I use. I've done the following to troubleshoot so far:

- Reboot the vCSA

- Remove the DNS entry from DNS, reboot both the vCenter server and AD server, then re-add the DNS entry

- Shut Everything down including the router and restart everything

Has anyone encountered this before and does anyone have an idea what I could do to resolve the issue and log into vCenter again?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
brandonwarren
Contributor
Contributor

Did you get this figured out? I'm having a similar issue in my home lab.

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

Can you check the dns resolution of the vcenter fqdn and IP from the machine where you are trying to access it? Make sure you are able to

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
brandonwarren
Contributor
Contributor

I can ping the IP but not the FQDN. When browsing to the IP I reach the screen allowing me to launch the HTML5 client but when trying to do so the page fails to load with the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error. I am able to reach and login to vCenter from my domain controller but not my domain joined workstation. The workstation has the DC set as the DNS server and I've created a DNS record on the DC for vCenter.

nslookup works from the workstation, but only if I specify to use the DC

C:\Windows\System32>nslookup 192.168.1.23
Server: pfSense.localdomain
Address: 2600:6c48:477f:f572:ea39:35ff:fe12:e200

*** pfSense.localdomain can't find 192.168.1.23: Non-existent domain

C:\Windows\System32>nslookup 192.168.1.23 192.168.1.2
Server: DC-01.home.lab
Address: 192.168.1.2

Name: vCenter.vSphere.home.lab
Address: 192.168.1.23

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @brandonwarren,

Good that you recognized that the error is on DNS resolution please check the pfSense configuration for firewall rules or even DNS Forwarding rules as this issue happened a lot to multiple users on their configuration of pfSense.

0 Kudos