VMware Cloud Community
phykell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Issue When Powering off a VM

Hi,

For testing purposes, I had configured VMware Data Recovery to back it up before installing vCenter. Now I've installed vCenter, the backup has run automatically, and I can no longer access the internal VM that was backed up! I've tried to reboot the guest OS to no avail; and now, it won't power down because it's saying "an error occurred while communicating with the remote host" and "another task is already in progress" - probably the reboot operation. All the other VMs on the host are fine of course, it's just the backed up VM that can't be accessed or powered off.

How can I get vCenter to power down my VM now that it seems stuck trying to complete a previous task?

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AnatolyVilchins

It's not clear what you are referring to here - is this VM your vCenter

Server or just a test VM? Can you right click the blocking task and

select Cancel?

http://serverfault.com/questions/105064/issue-when-powering-off-a-vm

Starwind Software Developer

www.starwindsoftware.com

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
phykell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry for any confusion - the VM that can't be powered down is a production server, but not the vCenter one. I ended up contacting VMware support and, to cut a long story short, despite killing the VM from the host's service console, and then being able to power the VM down, we were unable to restart the VM, and had to clone it to another host instead. The new copy worked fine luckily so we were up and running, however, the original host still reports the original VM as being in the inventory, and it can't be removed even if we try and delete it from the disk. Apparently, the only solution is to reboot the host and then try and remove the old VM but that can wait until we move to Update 1.

0 Kudos