VMware Cloud Community
averylarry2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is vCenter Server (standard) useful with free ESXi?

Trying to decide what, if anything, to actually purchase from VMware. The free license of the ESXi product is . . . sufficient. I'd really like central management and/or backup and/or read/write capabilities with rcli (without hacking the installation -- I think I said that correctly).

My issue is this. There's a REALLY big jump in $$$ from the essentials line of products to the Advanced or better line (I think the Standard line is pointless). I currently have 5 VMware servers (2 running Server 2.0 on Linux on newish server hardware, about 4 VM's each, 2 ESXi 4 servers running on old workstations that each house a single VM (because of higher disk IO) and one ESXi 3.5 server running on 32 bit hardware with 1 VM).

Anyway -- with a mixture of mission critical VM's in production and non-critical-little VM's that don't need to live on a SAN and eat up SAN bandwidth, I'm not sure I want to limit myself to 3 physical machines. It would probably be enough for the next 5-10 years, but it would affect my SAN strategies and I would have to buy at least 1 or 2 new expensive servers.

So I thought that perhaps just getting the vCenter Server for the centralized management might work. I can still have 2 or 3 nicer newer servers running ESXi 4 on the SAN with mission critical servers, while continuing to have 2-3 older machines with local drives running individual VM's (I like keeping them virtual for Disaster Recovery puposes).

I just can't find any information on whether it would work, and if it would provide any benefits etc.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can't add free ESXi to vCenter. Adding a host requires the vCenter Agent license inside the host.

Sorry about that.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can't add free ESXi to vCenter. Adding a host requires the vCenter Agent license inside the host.

Sorry about that.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
PaulSvirin
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just an addition.

If you don't have enough Virtual Center Agent licenses (which should be applied to ESXi host) you'll have to buy at least Virtual Infrastructure Foundation. Standalone Virtual Center Agent license is not available. Smiley Sad

Thus, it seems that only tool for free hosts is vSphere Client.

---

iSCSI SAN software

http://www.starwindsoftware.com

--- iSCSI SAN software http://www.starwindsoftware.com
averylarry2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ahhh indeed.

So basically:

A) Free

2) $1000 or $3000 for Essentials, but NO MORE THAN 3 servers.

C) $20,000 (Advanced, 6 or so processors, vCenter Server)

Just seems like there should be something around $7000.

0 Kudos