VMware Cloud Community
Pcparamedix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this A VC problem

Here is my problem

I have 4 ESX 3.01 servers with 13 x 500gb SAN drives presented to all servers. For each of the 4 ESX boxes on the config tab \ storage adapters I see ALL the luns presented to the servers. When I view the congif tab \ Storage (SCSI, SAN, and NFS) I see all 13 luns on only 2 of the 4 server. From the other 2 servers I only see 12 luns presented to the servers. The missing LUNS were working fine last night around 10:00pm. Today at 08:30am is when the LUN went missing. Can I just add the storage back to the server without formatting the LUN??

0 Kudos
6 Replies
VMKR9
Expert
Expert

Check your zoning on your SAN and rescan the HBAs...

0 Kudos
Pcparamedix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SAn and zoning are fine

0 Kudos
boydd
Champion
Champion

What type of storage is it? What path policy are you using? Is disk resignaturing enabled?

DB

VMware Communities Moderator

DB
Pcparamedix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Storage is HP EX1024, path policy not sure. Disk resignaturing is not enabled

0 Kudos
boydd
Champion
Champion

Is this a Hitachi rebrand unit (Active/Active SP's). If so - are you using fixed pathing instead of the default of "mru"? What happens if you scan or list the luns from the host cli (esxcfg-mpath -l | more or esxcfg-rescan vmhba#)?

DB

VMware Communities Moderator

DB
Pcparamedix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Found the problem. One of our servers was having a problem writing Metadata to the lun in question. It had a lock on the LUN. Once that problem was fixed the LUN came back to all ESX servers.

I want to thank all who responed to my posting.

Rob

0 Kudos