VMware Cloud Community
RickSz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a way to see actual disk space used versus provisioned size in 3.5?

Hi Folks,

I'm sure this has probably come up.

I need to find how much actual disk space is used by the VM as opposed to it's provisioned size. I have to make this point to management for upgrading to Vsphere 4 using thin provisioning.

Is there a script/app that might do this easily enough.

Regards,

Rick

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

RVTools is a great ESX Admin tools to have and it has a lot of features you can take advantage and datastore details is part of it too. Check it out great free tools

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you may want to take a look at this document

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9420

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

RVTools is a great ESX Admin tools to have and it has a lot of features you can take advantage and datastore details is part of it too. Check it out great free tools

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
RickSz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This did the trick!

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
BobEadie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've just downloaded RVTools, and it gives me the Provisioned space for each VM, or the actual usage for each Datastore . . . . but I still cannot find the actual usage by VM?

Have I missed something?

Bob

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

check the vPartition tab.

BobEadie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see. I think we may be talking about different things, though I now see this provides evidence for thin provisioning.

What I mean is that the total disc space used on the datastore for a particular VM will be its VHDs, plus swaps, plus snapshots, plus other overheads?? I should like to see the total of all of this for each VM. (I assume that snapshots, particularly, can use a lot of space on the datastore?)

Bob

0 Kudos
Prost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Connect to your host using SSH of console and browse to your datastore "cd /vmfs/volumes/[DatastoreName] then run the command "du -h" .

du will summarize disk usage for each FILE, recursively for directorys.

-h = human readable

It isnt perfect but is is a good workaround.

0 Kudos
BobEadie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Prost. That's great, and I'll see whether I can manage SSH etc. (I'm one of those lazy System Managers who like everything to be GUI!)

But it does look quite easy. I'll give it a go. Thanks gain,

Bob

0 Kudos