VMware Cloud Community
feargalr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible to run vSphere without vCenter

My research group isn't sure if we can afford to get vSphere and vCenter and we were wondering if it was possible to run just vSphere?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes it is possible to directly manage the ESXi host via vsphere client, but you will not be able to get the unique and good features of vCenter server like HA and DRS.

So which means if your host goes down, your runnning VM's will not have a fail over host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes it is possible to directly manage the ESXi host via vsphere client, but you will not be able to get the unique and good features of vCenter server like HA and DRS.

So which means if your host goes down, your runnning VM's will not have a fail over host.

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

For more info check about vCenter features check Compare VMware vSphere Editions: Managed Virtualization & Cloud Computing

Thanks

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

On the link provided, don't miss to click the "Compare Kits" link. VMware offers a couple of kits which already include vCenter Server. The two Essential Kits are low priced all-in-one kits which cannot be expanded, and the Acceleration Kits are basically starter kits which can be expanded with additional CPU licenses as needed. The http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf provides information about the different editions and kits.

André

feargalr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi thanks for the reply.

Yeah ideally I'd love to get it, but unfortunately we can't afford it now. I know there is more funding being made available in 3 years for our machine so hopefully then 😕

Basically our plan right now for our server is to install 5 or 6 virtual machines to do various jobs. Before we commit to paying for vSphere, I'm wondering if you (or anyone else here) can tell if we can do the following using just the vSphere client (i.e. not having vCenter).

• Set up new virtual machines and install OS's onto them, select how many cores/RAM/Storage space will be available to each VM etc.
  • Clone virtual machines (this isn't a must but it would be nice)
  • Take snapshots of the virtual machine (Again would be nice, not a must have)
  • Manage priorities with virtual machines (i.e. set it so that one VM will take priority over another for cores/RAM)
  • Connect to ESXi over a network connection to turn on/off VMs

I've been looking through both this website and google and so far I'm having a tough time discerning exactly what I need vCenter for and what I don't need it for.

Thanks again for everyones input!

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi feargalr,

As per your points,

• Set up new virtual machines and install OS's onto them, select how many cores/RAM/Storage space will be available to each VM etc.

Yes its possible to do that.

• Clone virtual machines (this isn't a must but it would be nice)

No, That's a feature in vCenter.

• Take snapshots of the virtual machine (Again would be nice, not a must have)

Yes, Works without vCenter.

• Manage priorities with virtual machines (i.e. set it so that one VM will take priority over another for cores/RAM)

Yes, It depends on how you manage your Limits,Shares and Reservations.

• Connect to ESXi over a network connection to turn on/off VMs.

Yes, as far as you can connect to your ESXi host's subnet and SSH is enabled on the host.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/