VMware Cloud Community
NWP_Tom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it ok to install VC Server on the same and only host I have VMWare on?

We have a single ESX host right now but are planning to get another in the future for HA and possibly Vmotion and DRS but I want to get the VC Server up and running well before we do that.

Is it ok to install VC Server in a VM on the one and only host we have? Are there any special items I need to consider? I've read that we should be sure to have the VC Server be the first VM to start up when the host comes up. Anything else?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yes you can.

If you think about when you have a group of ESX hosts managed by a VC, and the VC is a VM hosted on one of them.

Therefore the VC must be able to manage the hosting ESX node aswell as the others.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

sure you can install VC in a VM, and it's supported.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vc_in_vm.pdf

Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey,

If you do have only 1 host, then I personally dont think it matters at this stage.

I imagine you will have to log into the ESX host directly whenever you need to do any reconfiguration that needs a reboot.

Setting the VC to start up first is really relevant to when you actually have multiple ESX hosts managing clusters etc.

Not whilst you only have 1 host.

To configure a VC in a vm, follow this doc

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
NWP_Tom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I understand that we don't really need the VC Server when we only have one host but we will hopefully be adding a second host in the near future (next 1-2 months) so I wanted to get it setup before hand.

I guess my biggest question is can you run VC Server in a VM on the same host that the VC Server will be managing?

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yes you can.

If you think about when you have a group of ESX hosts managed by a VC, and the VC is a VM hosted on one of them.

Therefore the VC must be able to manage the hosting ESX node aswell as the others.

~y

0 Kudos