VMware Cloud Community
lukeglazebrook
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it OK to upgrade to vSphere 6.7 whilst leaving the hosts on 6.5 still?

I have a x2PSC and x2vCenter appliances running in linked mode accross two seperate sites.  I'm planning the upgrade now however my concern is our hosts (mainly IBM UCS M3/4 series B200 blades) dont have a 6.7 vendor imagine.  I dont really want to put us in a situation where either VMware or Cisco UCS wont support out configuration.  Is it OK to leave them on 6.5U1 long term I know its a supported configuration short term at least but dont know about long?

Also as a bonus question does it matter which site I upgrade first?  I will be proceeding with the Platform Services Controllers then the vCenter servers but not sure if it matters if I proceed with the large site or small site first. I dont believe linked mode runs as a primary or master config but could be wrong.

1 Reply
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Is it OK to leave them on 6.5U1 long term I know its a supported configuration short term at least but dont know about long?

Answer:

As you say, for the moment there are no problems. Keep in mind that Esxi 7 and vCenter 7 will be released soon. This means that version 6.5 is approaching the end of the support.

However, you have enough time to plan a migration in peace.

Also as a bonus question does it matter which site I upgrade first?

answer:

It doesn't matter which site you update first. What you need to do is always update vCenter first and then the Esxi hosts.

On the internet you will find several tutorials that guide you step-by-step.

VMware Lifecycle Product Matrix

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_3.png

see Attachment

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/