VMware Cloud Community
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is anyone sucessfully using Update Manager for Windows guests?

I am having a heck of a time getting Update Manager to work. It scans OK, but when I try to remediate it just hangs at like 60%. I check the download directory, and I see that it download 5 of 25 missing patches, so I know the proxy is working (otherwise it would have not downloaded any patches). I check the events view in Update manager and the last entry is "Install of MS08-041 started" but there is never a finish event and the start event was like 40 minutes ago. So I login to the VM I am trying to patch, and sure enough there is the patch in the "Processes" list doing nothing - CPU at 0%.

Earlier in the Events view is an error entry, where it says it failed for like 15 different Office patches. But no explanation why or what to do to fix it.

I finally kill the remediation job, and then that job never clears from the Recent Tasks view until I restart the VC service. The guest eventually reboots and a rescan shows it installed about 4 or 5 patches. But it failed on those other 15 or so Office patches and hangs on the MS08-041.

I am just wondering if anyone actually is using this program with 0% errors for patching Windows guests?

SB

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
CLMartin
Contributor
Contributor

I have it working for 42 of 45 VMs and 5 hosts. I have 3 that are unable to install the guest agent. Actually the agent installs and then goes into what looks like a tight loop eating CPU and doesn't communicate. Support is looking into those 3. The rest of them have gone without a hitch.

I am running ESX 3.5.0 build-113339, VC 2.5.0 build 104215. The VMs are Windows Server 2003 R2 STD SP2.

Christopher

NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Darn - I was hoping the program sucked for everyone and it was not just me. Thanks for the feedback.

SB

0 Kudos