VMware Cloud Community
stovbis
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone running VC 2.5 in production?

I was wandering if anyone is running VirtualCenter 2.5 in production yet. We upgraded our existing VC multiple times as we started with version 1.3 and are now using 2.0.2.

There are multiple problems with the database and Vmware techsupport recommended a clean install.

I am thinking about installing VC 2.5 right away, so there is one less upgrade to perform in the future. Needless to say i installed it in our test environment, but i don't have enough time to test if it is a stable version or not.

Looking for some input Smiley Happy

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

We are - no real problems to report yet.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
DanDill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are, the only caviat are hiccups with sysprep/cloning...

LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

Also running vc 2.5 no issues reported... yet Smiley Wink

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
lholling
Expert
Expert

Running fine here. The only problem we had was that the upgrade process wanted to drop a stored procedure that did not exist and the DBA had to add it so that the upgrade process could delete it..

Leonard...

-

Don't forget if the answers help, award points

---- Don't forget if the answers help, award points
0 Kudos
jfleming
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just upgraded to 2.5 last week, no issues with 2.5 at the moment. We have had no issues with cloning or anything as of yet.

0 Kudos
TheRealJason
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I quickly upgraded to VC 2.5, in our Datacenter, and ESX 3.5 on our QA boxes after it came out. As much as I like some of the neat stuff in 3.5, I am having to roll our QA back to 3.0.2 until some of the issues are resolved. VC 2.5 will stay, and I am pretty happy with it other than the fact that without "hacking" up the install, the client won't install on Vista 64-bit (true of 3.5 as well).

0 Kudos
Davita
Contributor
Contributor

If possible, clean install is always the better way to go. Our upgrade project called for migrating VMs off of a host to the others, and then performing a clean install on the host once all VMs were taken off. I'm still configuring VC for sysPrep and all the other fun stuff before I do anything else though.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

I'm running it too on a clean install.

0 Kudos
GraphiteDak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are MANY issues with the cloning process in 2.5. We are having fits here with it. They completely changed the way they deploy and call sysprep from their own tools now. Whether they did this to just have a new nice splash screen I don't know but we will be calling in tomorrow asap.

You CAN'T have any non-microsoft items attached to your NICS i.e. "Trend Micro firewall services" or "Deterministic Network Enhancer". If anything like this is present sysprep will never fire off.

We also have several images that simply will not fully boot after cloning. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
gene_torres
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't had any issues with cloning in 2.5. We don't have any firewall services or anything other than plain 'ol TCI/IP in the adapter settings.

I had a Cisco VPN client installed though on the guest OS and at fist i has having issues with the VM working correctly. I had to remove the Virtual NIC, and then re-add it and re-configure it. Not a good route to go if you have many VMs to move. Of course, this might have just been me feeling my way through the migration process from pre-2.5 to 2.5.

0 Kudos
GraphiteDak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Another issue this afternoon. Some 2003 servers will cause a windows file protection error after cloning and will just hang indefinitely. We took the same base image and put the host back into vc 2.x and then cloned it again with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

I can't seem to find much information on why they changed the process of cloning and if anyone has an insight please let me know. We now have to build our clones by moving a host back and forth between virtualcenters. Unbelievable. I can't believe that nobody else here has seen the issues that we've been seeing.

Where is our VC 2.5 patch??? Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
gene_torres
Contributor
Contributor

If you've done a cold migration from pre-2.5 to 2.5, have you run the "Upgrade Virtual Hardware" tool yet? If you right click on your base image that you're cloning, it should be on the menu there if you did migrate. After that, check to see that the CD-ROM or Floppy isn't mapped to something that doesn't exist on the new host.

After you do that, see if it'll let you clone. Another thing you'll want to make sure of when cloning is that your permissions are set up correctly.

Installing the VMWare Tools is another story also, you'll need to have a CD-ROM configured on the VM in the settings. I just set it to "Client Device." Apparently it needs a CDRom attached in order to install the VMTools. I'm not sure if it links back to your local installation of the VMware Infrastructure Client, but that fixed my issue with the VMWare Tools.

0 Kudos
GraphiteDak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hardware was updated etc. We have 3.5 and 3.02 hosts in the environment.

Cloning works and it will create the new machine it just creates a windows file protection error after the customization fires off and then after sysprep finally runs it just hangs the system indefinitely and will not fire up the shell upon reboot. Very strange stuff, but other issues were also tracked down so there seem to be plenty of issues with their "NEW" way of deploying/customizing. Extra boots required so that they can run their own program. Maybe they had to do this due to microsoft. I can't seem to find any documentation anywhere about why they changed the process..

All I know is that with nearly 1000 servers we MUST have cloning work! :smileyangry:

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

Another issue this afternoon. Some 2003 servers will cause a windows file protection error after cloning and will just hang indefinitely. We took the same base image and put the host back into vc 2.x and then cloned it again with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Ya' know? I had a similar issue recently with XP. I cloned a machine 14 times. 4 of the machines get Windows protection errors each time you log in. I never made the 2.5 connection. I'd call it in but I just spent a week on my last support call. I haven't got another week to waste.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

If you've done a cold migration from pre-2.5 to 2.5, have you run the "Upgrade Virtual Hardware" tool yet? If you right click on your base image that you're cloning, it should be on the menu there if you did migrate. After that, check to see that the CD-ROM or Floppy isn't mapped to something that doesn't exist on the new host.

I think the "Upgrade virtual hardware" is based on the version of ESX that's on the host rather than Virtual Center. I have VC 2.5 running. It's managing 3.0 and 3.5 hosts. I'll only get the option to Upgrade Virtual Hardware if I move a VM from a 3.0 host to a 3.5 host.

0 Kudos