VMware Cloud Community
StevenC20111014
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is adding a second vnic to the vCSA supported?

I have a need to deploy the vCSA with 2 vNICs, each on a different VLAN/subnet.  Communication to clients is via 1 VLAN while host communication is via another.  Is this a supported configuration?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JesseDalton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding a second nic is possible. I did it by modifying the config file for the network interfaces. I did however run in to the issue of routing. The vcsa cant seem to be able to route 'console" sessions from one subnet to another. Whenever I try to use the console from a subnett that is different than the one where the hosts reside in. I get an error. I think that this may have something to do with the lan they happen to be in.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Adding a second vNIC is supported for vCSA as I have read from forums.

StevenC20111014
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.  I have been unable to find this referenced in the forums.  Could you post a link? Also, I assume that the process would be to add another vNIC via vCenter, locally edit /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1, then service network restart?

0 Kudos
JesseDalton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding a second nic is possible. I did it by modifying the config file for the network interfaces. I did however run in to the issue of routing. The vcsa cant seem to be able to route 'console" sessions from one subnet to another. Whenever I try to use the console from a subnett that is different than the one where the hosts reside in. I get an error. I think that this may have something to do with the lan they happen to be in.

0 Kudos
A1pro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think that this is a major failing of the vCSA, particularly the fact that the web interface only allows you to configure one NIC.

Rant/instructions on how to get arround this on this post