VMware Cloud Community
Ascendancer
Contributor
Contributor

Intra-Domain Migration of vCenter Server 6.5

Hi Folks,

we have a general Active Directory Domain Migration at hand, which means that all AD objects get moved from xy.domain.local to domain.local.

So we need to migrate the VSCA to its root domain.

Question 1: We have a Computer Object (Edit: for the VCSA Server) in AD in xy.domain.local. Is there a way to migrate this, or do we have to unconfigure the identity sources/AD-Membership and reconfigure it under the new domain.

Question 2: Is there a way to preserve the Permissions assigned to AD groups. They are not so many, but it would be nice not to have to build them per pedes again.

Question 3: Are there any KB Articles i missed, as google-fu is full on master level here if you try 'vcenter' and 'migration' as keywords.

vCenter Version: 6.5.0.20000

Edit: Domain and Forrest are on a 2008R2 Level

Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Changing the domain naming convention will change the vCenter server's FQDN. Remember if you deploy the vCenter server with FQDN (not IP address) and wanna change the FQDN, the system account of the vCenter server will be changed, so maybe you have a problem with the self-signed certificate.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to vCenter Server

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos