VMware Cloud Community
mdonovan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Internet Explorer 11 and vCenter 5.5 web client

I am testing in preparation to upgrade vSphere from 5.0 to 5.5. One thing I have noticed is the web client seems to have a problem with IE 11. I get this message in a bar at the top of the browser:

This browser is not supported. Some features might not work correctly. A minimum of IE7, Firefox 9 or Chrome 14 are required on Windows. A minimum of Firefox 9 or Chrome 14 are required on Linux. A minimum of  Firefox 9, Chrome 14 or Safari 5.1.3 are required on Mac OS X. Read the vSphere Web Client help for details.

Is there a fix for this? It seems safe to ignore this message, everything seems to work ok, but I don't really want to field all the questions about this message when 5.5 is deployed.

Thanks

Matt

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It is actually not supported

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

You will have to wait for next release i guess.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It is actually not supported

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

You will have to wait for next release i guess.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
mdonovan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not the answer I was hoping for, but it is the answer. I'll de-emphasise the web client until they fix this.

Thanks

Matt

0 Kudos
cking2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Everything seems to work except the web console. I just installed Chrome which works but the web console only seems to work in full screen. We are on vSphere 5.1.832030 and have Win8.1/IE11...

0 Kudos
Matt_C
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was seeing an issue where the vSphere console windows not loading after upgrading to IE 11.  The progress wheel would continuously spin cut the VM desktop would never appear.

After adding the vSphere site address to the compatibility view settings list in IE 11 the console view worked with no further issues but I then had an issue that I was no longer able to access other sites on the same domain (Citrix director 7.6 site) that would not run under compatibility mode. (the option in IE will only add the primary domain address)

So I used gpedit to add the subdomain site address for vsphere to the compatibility list.

If you try to add “vsphere.domain.com” to the Compatibility List using IE’s Internet Options you can only add the full domain, “domain.com” to the list.

To work around this I was able to add the individual subdomain page address to the compatability list using gpedit.msc

• Make sure you do not have Compatibility View turned on for the entire domain in the IE Compatibility Options.

Add the subdomain (vsphere.domain.com) to your Compatibility List, make the following change by running gpedit.msc using an account with admin rights.

• Expand the gpedit menu options to Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Internet Explorer \ Compatibility View and choose Use Policy List of Internet Explorer 7 sites:
  • Double-click the option, select the option to enable, click the button to show the current site list and double click the value field and enter the site address for the vSphere site (Example below):

gpedit_CL.PNG

After saving the change log off of the machine and log back in to apply the change.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos