VMware Cloud Community
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Intermitent error when attempting a VMotion

Aloha - I am finding that sometimes when attempting a VMotion, I get the following error after selecting a destination host -

Migration from esx.host: No guest OS heartbeats are being received.

Either the guest OS is not responding or VMware tools is not configured

properly.

The really weird thing is I'll even get this error when selecting the same host that the VM is already on. Five (or so) minutes later - no more error. It seems that it's an all or nothing thing - either all hosts validate or none do..

Any help is appreciated.

Mahalo,

Bill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The heartbeats are something VMware Tools provide - they are used by the ESX Servers to determine the health of the VM and that is why you see from both originating and destination hosts - why they are not being seen I am not sure but that should not prevent you form VMotioning - it is only a warning and you should be allowed to vmotion

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am bumping this as I originally posted it Thanksgiving eve and it's doubtful too many people saw it.

As always - any ideas are appreciated.

Mahalo, Billl

Message was edited by: Kahonu

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The heartbeats are something VMware Tools provide - they are used by the ESX Servers to determine the health of the VM and that is why you see from both originating and destination hosts - why they are not being seen I am not sure but that should not prevent you form VMotioning - it is only a warning and you should be allowed to vmotion

0 Kudos