VMware Cloud Community
Loontje
Contributor
Contributor

Intel x520 dual port, no link

Hi all,

I have a problem where 1 port of the 10GB dual port card has no link..

esxcfg-nics -l

vmnic12 0000:14:00.00 ixgbe       Down 0Mbps     Half   00:1b:21:ba:e4:20 1500   Intel Corporation Ethernet Server Adapter X520-2
vmnic13 0000:14:00.01 ixgbe       Up   10000Mbps Full   00:1b:21:ba:e4:21 1500   Intel Corporation Ethernet Server Adapter X520-2

The weird thing is that the one that gives link has an intel sfp (in the switch) and a dell sfp in the nic of the server

The one with no link has 2 identical intel sfp's

I tried switching, replacing cables and i have updated the drivers (http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/dt_esxi4x_intel_10g_82598/dHdlYnQld2hiZGhwZA)

I have a feeling it all has to do with the sfp's but can't figure out why...

lspci |grep 10-

14:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599EB 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)
14:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599EB 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)

Server is a DELL R810

Anyone got a clue?! Thanx in advance..

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,
Check if you need update device driver of this network adapter. I check this hardware and is compatible.

Check out http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=13445&deviceCat...

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
Loontje
Contributor
Contributor

can you tell me how i can check the device info on my esx host?!

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry,

May this adapter can stay in standby mode.

Check accessing with VI Client > Configuration > Networking > Properties in vswitch > edit in vswitch > Nic teaming >

What do you need check ?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
Loontje
Contributor
Contributor

i don't understand, nic teaming is the next step, first i should get link on the second port of my dual adapter..

i already updated the drivers...

(http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/dt_esxi4x_intel_10g_82598/ZHcqYnQld2hiZHR3ZA==#version_history)

should i install/update drivers for a sfp, is that what you mean?

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

that´s ok.

you just check configuration of speed of this adapter ? check is your switch core (port) that works have same configuration of this port unlink.

same with vsphere client in configuration > networking > properties > network adapter > edit

0 Kudos
Loontje
Contributor
Contributor

config is auto for both adapter and switch..

it has something todo with the sfp's but can't figure out what it is..

I have Intel X8571 10Gb sfp's, which were ordered with the server so should be ok..

strange thing is that one of the ports on the nic works with a intel sfp inside and a dell sfp in the switch..

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ok. You already try force on port of your switch core (set to works 10gb full duplex) and keep auto on vmware.

do this test.

0 Kudos
Loontje
Contributor
Contributor

i have the question outstanding with the supplier of the switch, seems the switch can't handle Intel sfp's

Thanx for your support!

0 Kudos