VMware Cloud Community
selble
Contributor
Contributor

Insufficient resources to satisfy configured failover level for HA (yes, this again)

Hi all,

I've been toying with a couple different hypervisor-based virtualization platforms at work, and in the process of that, I've gotten a trial setup of ESXi/vSphere/vCenter going. It's been going OK so far (not bad, not great), and one of the big holdups for me is testing out HA. My test setup consists of two Dell OptiPlex 780 desktops (Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM each), with an iSCSI backend provided via OpenFiler. I created a test VM, which went mostly fine, until I tried to start it, at which point I'm presented with the error message in the title of this post.

If I disable admission control, I get "The host does not have sufficient memory resources to satisfy the reservation." This is a VM setup to use 32 MB of RAM on a system with 2 GB of RAM, with not a single other VM running. As such, it's hard to imagine any slots being allocated or otherwise unavailable, and yet, I get a slot size as follows: 0 MHz, 1 virtual CPUs, 0 MB, and total slots in cluster reports as N/A. And under the resource allocation tab for the cluster, it shows total memory capacity as 205 MB, with available capacity listed as 205 MB. Because of all that, I have no idea why this isn't working (and our trials of XenServer have worked just fine in this regard).

If anyone has any ideas as to why this isn't working, those thoughts would be welcome, as I'd really like to give vSphere/vCenter a fair shake in the comparison I'm working on. Thanks, in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PaulSvirin
Expert
Expert

I believe some ideas can be found here:

---

iSCSI SAN software

http://www.starwindsoftware.com

--- iSCSI SAN software http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
selble
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I had come across that page in my Googling, but the suggestions in it didn't seem to help resolve the problem, especially considering I just have the one VM, configured with a miniscule 32 MB of RAM. Right now, my two test machines have been wiped and have a different virtualization solution on them, but when I revisit VMWare, perhaps I'll look that page over with fresh eyes, and a clean install of the problem setup. Thanks again.

0 Kudos