VMware Cloud Community
bigdave146
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing vCentre - cant connect to SQL DSN name even though test works OK

Hello

I am having a problem install vCentre on a Win2k3R3 VM. I have vSphere4.0u1 and I have an MS SQL2005 database. I have created a database called vcenter. I have a user created to access it, and all this is working fine.

I have created the ODBC connection (system DSN) to the database, and then tested this and it connects OK to the database. When I run through the vCentre installation, just after I enter the license key, it asks which database I want to use and gives a drop down list of the available DSN names. The database I have created the ODBC connection to does not appear in that list, and if I put it in, it comes back with an error saying it cant connect to it.

Every other time I have installed this it just works fine after I have created the ODBC connection. There is no firewall between the vCentre server and the SQL server, so thats not an issue, and this has really stumped me. Has anyone got any idea of where I could look to see what the reason for this is ?

Dave

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you select the native SQL Client for the ODBC connection?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you select the native SQL Client for the ODBC connection?

André

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

bigdave146
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I checked the client version I am using and it is not the Native SQL Client, the one called SQL Server. So I have downloaded it, installed it and now the installer runs. Thanks for your help !!!

Dave

0 Kudos