VMware Cloud Community
daunce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installing vCenter5 - Doco wrong?

It's been a while since i've installed vCenter, besides using the supplied SQL Express, so I was reading through the doco (http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-50-install...).

Just curious if the steps outlined have worked for others

Page 174:

1 Log in to a Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio session as the sysadmin (SA) or a user account with
sysadmin privileges.
2 Run the following script.
The script is located in the vCenter Server installation package at /<installation
directory>/vpx/dbschema/DB_and_schema_creation_scripts_MSSQL.txt.
use [master]
go
CREATE DATABASE [VCDB] ON PRIMARY
(NAME = N'vcdb', FILENAME = N'C:\VCDB.mdf', SIZE = 2000KB, FILEGROWTH = 10% )
LOG ON
(NAME = N'vcdb_log', FILENAME = N'C:\VCDB.ldf', SIZE = 1000KB, FILEGROWTH = 10%)
COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
go
use VCDB
go
sp_addlogin @loginame=[vpxuser], @passwd=N'vpxuser!0', @defdb='VCDB',
@deflanguage='us_english'
go
ALTER LOGIN [vpxuser] WITH CHECK_POLICY = OFF
go
CREATE USER [vpxuser] for LOGIN [vpxuser]
go
use MSDB
go
CREATE USER [vpxuser] for LOGIN [vpxuser]
go
You now have a Microsoft SQL Server database that you can use with vCenter Server.

On the vCenter ISO, i didn't have the path: .../vpx/dbschema/DB_and_schema_creation_scripts_MSSQL.txt.  On mine, it didn't have ../vpx/...

And when i try and run the script, it errors on quite a few lines. It complains about the minimum .mdf size has to be 3000KB. (using MSSQL2008 R2. listed as a supported DB)

There were a few more things, but i'll have to check it out when i'm back in the office.

and curious to know how many people actually run the scripts listed in the doco for creating users, setting permissions etc.

Cheers.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
11satya
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i think very rare

0 Kudos