VMware Cloud Community
rpayne1322
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing vCenter Server on a machine running IIS

Has anyone had any problems installing vCenter Server on a machine running a web server (IIS)? Documentation advises the use of a dedicated machine, and one not running a web server. During setup you get the warrning that vCenter detected the web server running, vCenter Server uses common web service ports for communication, so to avoid resource conflicts, use a dedicated machine. Are we talking about slowness only or is it possible to interrupt IIS functionality totally on that machine if I proceed with the install? The machine in question really doesn't have hardly any IIS traffic.. and we don't really have a dedicated machine that ISN't running IIS at the moment. Well, I do, but its not in a domain group, the documentation says it needs to be. Can it run on a workgroup server though? I would like to eventually install vCenter Server on a Guest system running on our ESX 4.0 host, but I am currently out of storage hardware to create another VM atm.

Thanks,

RP

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you may run into issues with the vCenter service crashing, my advise is to install vCenter on another server. You can install it as a VM if hardware is a concern

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/4824652

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you may run into issues with the vCenter service crashing, my advise is to install vCenter on another server. You can install it as a VM if hardware is a concern

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/4824652

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

I would advise you to install a vcenter on an complete new server.

Install this in an vm, and put if you have not to many Hosts to manage also the VUM on it.

Good luck!!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
rpayne1322
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you to both for your quick responses. I have another license for a Windows guest, but unfortunately I do not have another datastore I could store another VM on Currently Smiley Sad Due to the project not really being correctly configured from the start, I'm pushing our current DS3200 LUNS / datastores past the point I should be already to leave enough room for VMware files, snapshots, etc. Unless I create the new VM on the internal disks on one of the blades? The other blades couldn't see them as shared storage of course.. but would that matter in the short term? Or, I can try and configure vCenter Server on one of my workgroup servers and point the DB back to one of my SQL servers in a domain. About the only two options I have at the moment, I believe anyway.

Not exactly the correct forum for the question, but since I've already brought it up, when we add another DS3200 in the future, I should be able extend my current Datastores by creating and adding the new LUNS to current system, correct? Will this only add space to the guest side or also to the VM side as well? Sorry for what might be a silly question.. Working on a project this size with no VM experience has been interesting. If it will not be possible to add more storage to the VM reserved area later, I might need to scrap one of the VM's for now and re-build the current Array.

Rp

0 Kudos