VMware Cloud Community
esteban2800VBOX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing vCenter Server 4 on Windows 7

By now, I think a lot of people have got this error when installing vCenter Server on Windows 7:

--> Error 28035.set up, failed to copy DSACLS.exe from system folder to %winder%\adam,folder

Is there a solution? Can we install .NET 4? That's supported on Windows 7.

Or,

Can I create a VM to manage my ESX server?

Please advise. Go ahead, give me any advise, this is just for a testing environment. I don't have production at all.

-EC
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

for sure you can use here the Standard Version of WIndows 2003.

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

I would create a vm to install vcenter.

Windows 2003 or Windows2008 Server with 2vcpu and 3GB RAm and everything will be fine.

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
esteban2800VBOX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does it matter what type of Windows 2003? All I have is standard edition. I don't want to eat up space with Windows 2008 data center edition.

-EC
0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

for sure you can use here the Standard Version of WIndows 2003.

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The quickest and easist thing to do is fire up a Windows 2003 x32bit server and install in on that, any version of Win2k3 will do. you cannot install on Windows 7 as the vCenter server required ADAM, check the install document for pre-recs

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
esteban2800VBOX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I got it working on a separate server and it is running fine. I'm running vCenter on a Windows 2003 Enterprise Ed. server with SP1. It works fine.

-EC
0 Kudos
imidge
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To fire up a Windows 2003 x32bit server might be the quickest and easist thing to do (assuming you have media to hand) but the downside is that will cost 500 bucks for a Windows license. Not convinced that ADAM is preventing it from installing onto 7 as it installs and is supported on XP.

More likely a .NET issue

0 Kudos
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

0 Kudos