VMware Cloud Community
brhong
Contributor
Contributor

Installation of component VCSServiceManager failed for vCenter 6.0

Hi experts,

I tried to install vCenter 6.0, and got the following error:

• Installation of component VCSServiceManager failed with error code '1603'. Check the logs for more details.

Checked the release notes, ipv4 stack is all fine.

I tried a couple of times, couldn't overcome this. Also tried to upgrade from 5.5 to 6.0, failed with the same error.

How can I overcome this?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Forget to mention: I am installing this on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

30 Replies
vervoortjurgen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hi

Well having the same issue with vcenter 6u2a.  none of the solutions work

- KB2119768 - add db_owner role to msdb (we thought this had been fixed with the 'VMW' schema and admin roles)

- KB2114754 - add permissions to the vCenter_database_user (** NOTE - the upgrade script to prepare the MSSQL database grants these permissions to [vpxuser] and we have a different user

- KB2119606 - add administraor@vsphere.local to DC Admins group

none of them worked.

using sql user in my ODBC connection which has db owner and is sysadmin

logs don't show much more information.

any other suggestions to solve it are welcome.

kind regards Vervoort Jurgen VCP6-DCV, VCP-cloud http://www.vdssystems.be
0 Kudos
mdinisoae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got same issue trying to upgrade vCenter server from 5.5 U1 Build 1623099 to vCenter 6.0.0 build 4541947. (my infrastructure has SQL database hosted on different server than vCenter and vCenter server installed with AD service account)

First error:

pastedImage_77.png

On file vmafd-firstboot.py_5500_stderr.log I found :

2016-12-22T11:58:29.793Z password:

2016-12-22T11:58:29.793Z Vdcsrp failed. Error[9234] - User invalid credential

Make sure the UPN and password are correct

2016-12-22T11:58:29.793Z <type 'exceptions.SystemExit'>

2016-12-22T11:58:29.793Z <type 'exceptions.SystemExit'>

I applied KB 2144402 (set a default Identity Source) and KB 2143753 (change password for AD service account & SSO with a  simple password that does not contain special characters) and I got following errors:

pastedImage_7.png

File: visl-support-firstboot.py_5924_stderr.log has only one line:

2016-12-22T14:57:30.585Z   WARNING Value for install-parameter machine.cert.replacement is empty

...and then:

pastedImage_6.png

On file vminst.log:

2016-12-22 06:57:26.450-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: ParseStatusFile: STATUS: 0%: ""

2016-12-22 06:57:26.450-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: ParseStatusFile: Calling callback with 0 -> 0 ""

2016-12-22 06:57:26.450-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: Entering function: UpdatePkgMgrProgressFromStatusFile

2016-12-22 06:57:26.450-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: ProcessMsiMsg: ACTIONDATA reporting ""

2016-12-22 06:57:26.450-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: Leaving function: UpdatePkgMgrProgressFromStatusFile

2016-12-22 06:57:26.466-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: Leaving function: ParseStatusFile

2016-12-22 06:57:31.467-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: Entering function: ParseStatusFile

2016-12-22 06:57:31.467-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: ParseStatusFile: STATUS: 3%: "Starting VMware Authentication Framework..."

2016-12-22 06:57:31.467-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: ParseStatusFile: Calling callback with 0 -> 3 "Starting VMware Authentication Framework..."

2016-12-22 06:57:31.467-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: Entering function: UpdatePkgMgrProgressFromStatusFile

2016-12-22 06:57:31.467-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: ProcessMsiMsg: ACTIONDATA reporting "Starting VMware Authentication Framework..."

2016-12-22 06:57:31.483-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: Leaving function: UpdatePkgMgrProgressFromStatusFile

2016-12-22 06:57:31.483-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: Leaving function: ParseStatusFile

2016-12-22 06:57:49.042-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: Entering function: ParseStatusFile

2016-12-22 06:57:49.042-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: ParseStatusFile: curr error msg: "Encountered an internal error

see C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\logs\firstboot\vmafd-firstboot.py_5924_stderr.log"

2016-12-22 06:57:49.042-08:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| E: ParseStatusFile: Displaying error message for " ": "Encountered an internal error.

see C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\logs\firstboot\vmafd-firstboot.py_5924_stderr.log

This is an unrecoverable error, please retry install. If you run into this error again, please collect a support bundle and open a support request."

I checked ODBC connection, applying Windows 2012 R2 (where vCenter Server resides), I cheeked different other settings found on internet, I reinstalled back 5.5  using same SQL database and perform the upgrade again => the upgrade failed every time (I think I tried 4-5 times by reinstalling vCenter 5.5).

Because my environment was a test platform and no huge deployment (2 clusters, 8 hosts ESXi 5.5, 28 test VMs) I decided to reinstall the Windows 2012 R2 operating system.

So, I performed following steps:

1) I reinstalled the Windows 2012 R2 operating system (without updates);

2) I installed vCenter Server 5.5 U1 Build 1623099 using the existing SQL database (during the install a new certificate is created ... perhaps you can preserver the old one and replace the new one after vCenter is installed);

3) I rejoined hosts to the new vCenter because the hosts were in disconnected state;

4) I moved hosts out of  their Cluster one by one to keep my VMs running (maintenance mode first), reboot the hosts, exit from maintenance mode and re-added to their cluster;

5) Installed Net Framework 3.5

6) Run vCenter upgrade process to 6.0.0 build 4541947

In this way I succeeded to complete the upgrade..

Maybe it's not the right solution for everybody (special if they use different VMware applications on top of vCenter 5.5 - e.g. VMware View) but hope my experience will help the others. Smiley Happy

MDINISOAE Please mark "Helpful" or "Correct Answer" if my answer satisfies your query.
0 Kudos
vervoortjurgen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I solved it by creating a new user in AD (ex: VCAdmin)

then i gave that AD user following rights

- local administrator on the vcenter server

- on the database server i added the user under security and gave "server roles" : 'public' and 'sysadmin'. also under "User mapping" i gave 'db owner' rights on the vcenter database

I logged in with that AD user on the vcenter server and run the setup as administrator.

My ODBC had sql user authentication and didn't change this.

Setup run without error.

i was first upgrading with the administrator account from AD. didn't seem to work well

kind regards Vervoort Jurgen VCP6-DCV, VCP-cloud http://www.vdssystems.be
0 Kudos
Oizo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi!

The problem I had was coming from parsing an XML file, for the STS component (vCenter Single Sign-On Security Token Service (STS), a Web service that issues, validates, and renews security tokens).

From the back trace message, which appears at the end of the failing installation :

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\firstboot\vmidentity-firstboot.py", line 202, in main

vmidentityFB.boot()

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\VMware Identity Services\vmidentity_firstboot_core.py", line 181, in boot

self.configureSTS(self.__stsRetryCount, self.__stsRetryInterval)

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\VMware Identity Services\vmidentity_firstboot_core.py", line 1145, in configureSTS

self.copyCertForTC()

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\VMware Identity Services\vmidentity_firstboot_core.py", line 810, in copyCertForTC

self.configureTCSSLProtocol(self.__tc_sts_server_xml_path, self.__ecdheFlag)

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\VMware Identity Services\vmidentity_firstboot_core.py", line 680, in configureTCSSLProtocol

tree = ET.parse(file_path)

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\python\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 1182, in parse

tree.parse(source, parser)

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\python\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 656, in parse

parser.feed(data)

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\python\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 1642, in feed

self._raiseerror(v)

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\python\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 1506, in _raiseerror

raise err

ParseError: junk after document element: line 66, column 0

We can see that it fails parsing the "server.xml" file, located at :

C:\ProgramData\VMware\CIS\runtime\VMwareSTS\conf

This SERVER.XML file in my environment, was containing multiple duplication of the exact same data.

In that same location, there was another file called SERVEROUT.XML.

Here is what I did :

- made a backup copy of this file, and edited it. I only kept the 65 first lines, and delete ALL the others below. The last line of the NEW file sould be "< /Server >".

- renamed the serverout.xml file to serverout.original.xml

Then, Upgrade went well.

Before reaching this, I checked all those KBs :

Hope this helps!

khairulnixam
Contributor
Contributor

Yup.. 100% works for me.....

with the following errors

2017-02-22T04:26:53.744Z   VMware Identity Service bootstrap: importDirectory=C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\export\sso VMware Identity Service bootstrap failed.Exception: Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\firstboot\vmidentity-firstboot.py", line 202, in main

vmidentityFB.boot()

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\VMware Identity Services\vmidentity_firstboot_core.py", line 181, in boot

self.configureSTS(self.__stsRetryCount, self.__stsRetryInterval)

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\VMware Identity Services\vmidentity_firstboot_core.py", line 1145, in configureSTS

self.copyCertForTC()

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\VMware Identity Services\vmidentity_firstboot_core.py", line 810, in copyCertForTC

self.configureTCSSLProtocol(self.__tc_sts_server_xml_path, self.__ecdheFlag)

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\VMware Identity Services\vmidentity_firstboot_core.py", line 680, in configureTCSSLProtocol

tree = ET.parse(file_path)

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\python\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 1182, in parse

tree.parse(source, parser)

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\python\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 656, in parse

parser.feed(data)

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\python\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 1642, in feed

self._raiseerror(v)

File "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\python\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 1506, in _raiseerror

raise err

ParseError: junk after document element: line 66, column 0

BTW

While the setup running, I deleted line 66 and below from this location C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\export\sso\server.xml

Thanks

0 Kudos
ndmuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We had the same problem 'error-1603 VCSServiceManager failed' upgrading from vCenter 5.5 to 6.0U2, (win2012 r2, sql std 2012, all vcenter components are on the same one box).

We performed almost all recommended steps in this discussion with no luck. I just would like to mention additional actions suggested by VMWare tech support which helped us after all.

1. After each unsuccessful attempt to upgrade to 6.0U2 clear all the folders for the old installation, rename C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer to C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer.old because it contained server.xml with duplicate entries and other junk from previous failed attempts. .

2. In ODBC data source administrator rename SQL server name from 'local' to the netbios name of the server in DSN configuration.

3. Regenerate default SSL certificate.

0 Kudos
GrayHound
Contributor
Contributor

Checked all the permissions, IPv4, ODBC, etc... but no luck.

Is a full re-install really the only way forward?

0 Kudos
theonion
Contributor
Contributor

After un-installing vcenter server, renaming all of the vCenter folders that remained (except for the VMware tools folder), did the trick for me.  This was not before wasting over a week dealing with VMware support.

0 Kudos
szchance
Contributor
Contributor

Dear all I install new vc also got this error, and after try many days, I fix it!  Maybe will help you.

Just in the configuration manager,  go to the TCP/IP properties, and set all the TCP Dynamic Ports to 1433, and restart the services, it works!

0 Kudos
Antoajp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Me too faced the same issues and i have resolved by below steps.

1. Checked the DB ownereship

2. Pinging with hostname , ip address, nslookup has been checked

3. Restart the vcenter server and taken a snapshot

4. stop all vcenter related services.

5. cleared the temp directory

6. download windows "Process explorer " and checked vmeventmsg.dll is active or not. if active kill that process

7. In vcenter server, open regedit and go to below location

HKLM\SOftware\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Once you open the above location, browse and identify vmware-jre behind that "Uninstall" location. once you identify the VMware-jre check the uninstall.string

Basically it will be like "msiexec /x {Product Code}"

Open cmd prompt with administrator and run that "msiexec /x {Product Code}"

Restart the server and run the vcenter upgrade again.

0 Kudos
dipjyotiborah
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem and it got resolved now.

To resolve the initial issue we followed the steps in the following KB article https://kb.vmware.com/kb/56469.

Next we noticed that in event viewer we could see httpsproxy failing.

We extracted the files from the openSSL MSI file on the vCenter ISO and copied them into the vCenter directory, httpsproxy stopped failing and all the services started.

We then rebooted the vCenter to ensure all was ok and it came back up on the updated version without any issues.

=====================================================

Extracted the files from the openSSL MSI file on the vCenter ISO using 7zip and copied them into the vcenter directory (Path: c$\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\openSSL)

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos