VMware Cloud Community
brhong
Contributor
Contributor

Installation of component VCSServiceManager failed for vCenter 6.0

Hi experts,

I tried to install vCenter 6.0, and got the following error:

• Installation of component VCSServiceManager failed with error code '1603'. Check the logs for more details.

Checked the release notes, ipv4 stack is all fine.

I tried a couple of times, couldn't overcome this. Also tried to upgrade from 5.5 to 6.0, failed with the same error.

How can I overcome this?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Forget to mention: I am installing this on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

30 Replies
abdulrahman1
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue. I am using Windows 2012R2. Trying to upgrade SSO 5.5 to PSC. I opened a ticket and will let you know if I solve this.

0 Kudos
abdulrahman1
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure that your ODBC connector can communicate with your SQL Server. Make sure you use the same account you used to install 5.5. This account should also have access to the Vcenter DB on SQL. Bam! it works...

0 Kudos
Matt_B1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same error on a Windows 2008 R2 box.  ODBC connection is fine with local SQL credentials.  There is no trailing white space in the name.  There is only one IP on our IPv4 configured NIC.  Forward and reverse DNS lookups are fine.  We are consistently getting this error.  For background, I was doing an upgrade from 5.5 to 6.0 and it hung on Installing VCSServiceManager and Starting VMware vCenter for 2 hours.  Tech support ended up killing the process and we are now doing an install (connecting to external DB, create new SSO domain).  Through every combination of launching as the service account, run as Admin, using local system...they all hit the 1603 error with VCSServiceManager.   What else have people done to get by this error?

0 Kudos
bothu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

When installing vcenter 6.0 i get the below errors; I see that there are solutions on the vcenter release notes page - https://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere6/doc/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-60-release-notes.html they are not working for me.

Error 1:

An error occured while starting invsvc.

VMWARE workaround: Workaround: Use the IP address or the host name of the database server to create a DSN.

Does not work for me, i use the full hostname on my DSN

Error 2:

Installation of component VCSServiceManager failed with error code '1603'. Check the logs for more details.

VMWARE Workaround: Before you install VMware vCenter Server 6.0.0, make sure the IPv4 stack is installed. If the command netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces results in a message: The request is not supported., the IPv4 stack has been uninstalled and should be reinstalled. To reinstall the IPv4 stack, run the netsh interface ipv4 install command and reboot the machine.

I don't get the error the request is not supported. No errors at all. Even if i uninstall the ipv4 stack and install it again, problem still persists.

or

VMWARE Workaround: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2113068

My DSN sql server connection string dont have a trailing white space, and i even changed the DSN name, I changed the sql server connection name to the IP. Same error.

Your assistance will be appreciated. Thanks

Regards,

Mervin

0 Kudos
uadeshpande
Contributor
Contributor

please check windows installer service is started and automatic.

0 Kudos
bothu
Contributor
Contributor

Hiuadeshpandeuadeshpande

The windows installed service was stopped. I checked, i am unable to change it from manual to automatic. I have started it up now, will try to install vCenter again and let you know if that fixed my problem.

Regards,

Mervin

0 Kudos
bothu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Still the same errors as in my earlier posts. Starting the Windows Installer server does not help. Thanks once again.

Regards,

Mervin

0 Kudos
Ric_L
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have exactly the same situation.

I am running Windows Server Standard 2012 R2 on a HP DL120 with 12GB RAM

I have never has vCenter installed on this machine and it is a fresh installation

The ipv4 stack is installed and there are twi interfaces active. The Network Card and the loopback interface\

The Windows installer service is running and set to Manual, and like bothu I am not able to change it to set it to Automatic.

The error is identical

• Installation of component VCSServiceManager failed with error code '1603'. Check the logs for more details.

I have performed a default installation using a the embedded deployment where the system creates its own local database - Note this is a new fresh installation

The host name is the server name plus the domain name.

E.g Server Name = sv01

DNS domain = dom.local

then my host name is sv01.dom.local

The server name is registered in DNS and can be resolved correctly

I have used all the standard ports and not modified any of the ports used.

My Logs show the same error (except for install source path being different)

vcsInstUtil-2656758| E: wWinMain: MSI result of install of "D:\vCenter-Server\Packages\vcsservicemanager.msi" may have failed: 1603 (0x00000643)

vcsInstUtil-2656758| E: LaunchPkgMgr: Operation on vcsservicemanager.msi appears to have failed: 1603 (0x00000643)

vcsInstUtil-2656758| I: PitCA_MessageBox: Displaying message: "Installation of component VCSServiceManager failed with error code '1603'. Check the logs for more details."

Any assistance with this will help us both.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Ric_L
Contributor
Contributor

Tried a few other things.

Remove VMware services---this failed and could not remove them...alarm bells

Tried  renaming all vmware folders and re-installing - no luck same error..

So after two days and countless several attempts at this I took an extreme measure and completely removed vCenter from the server. - Note: that it was not listed in control panel to be able to uninstall.

Note: That I had absolutely no other VMware products installed so what I did was a calculated risk.

1. Rebooted server

2. Deleted all VMware folders on the C-Drive that has been created. This included a couple of folders in the C:\users directory

3. WARNING--- This next part could really damage your server... so only do this if you are prepared to format and start again or you have a reliable backup

4. WARNING--- Please be careful...

5. I opened up regedit and deleted every single Key that referenced vmware --- Again keep in mind that I had no other vmware product installed...and I was prepared to format an start again.

6. I restarted the server.

7. Ran the installation again with default options.

8. vCenter installed without any issues.

9. Restarted Server and applied some windows updates

10. Enabled flashplayer on IE

11... All up and running now!

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Krygiel
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same two issues as Mervin's when installing vCenter 6.0. If anyone has any additional tips it would be greatly appreciated!

-Kris

0 Kudos
Krygiel
Contributor
Contributor

Fixed my issue. I went into SQL Configuration Manager and enabled "Named Pipes" and "TCP/IP" and it works. Don't know if Named Pipes is necessary.. maybe only TCP/IP.

50629_50629.jpgFix.jpg

0 Kudos
Rusomenace
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue but i was able to succesfully install on the demo server but not in the production...

My production server is a 2012 R2 fully patched.

Any news on this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
SolutionsPro
Contributor
Contributor

Struggled with this error as well but finally fixed the issue, at least in my lab:

http://www.virtualization.net/10039-how-to-fix-vcenter-upgrade-to-6-0-vcsservicemanager-failed-with-...

0 Kudos
bothu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

My service account already has sysadmin role access. Issue still persists, i want to start over with my setup today. Will give feedback if i win.

Regards,

Mervin

0 Kudos
djbreezer
Contributor
Contributor

If you're installing vcenter and sql-server on the same machine you have to verify these settings:

• In your system dsn settings use: "localhost\sqlexpress"
  • verify that the service "SQL Server Browser" is running and set to automatic
  • check that your Named-Pipe and TCP/IP protocol settings in the config manager are enabled
  • ensure that the account that you are using have permissions to vcdb and msdb
0 Kudos
burdweiser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Enabling Named-Pipe and TCP/IP protocol settings in the config manager fixed this issue for me. No need to do reg edits or delete folders.

0 Kudos
n_c_vmware
Contributor
Contributor

having the same issue with 2 vCenter on uninistall. VMware Support is lost again ... this sucks badly

0 Kudos
AbdnSysman
Contributor
Contributor

We had similar problems - the 3 fixes were:-

- KB2119768 - add db_owner role to msdb (we thought this had been fixed with the 'VMW' schema and admin roles)

- KB2114754 - add permissions to the vCenter_database_user (** NOTE - the upgrade script to prepare the MSSQL database grants these permissions to [vpxuser] and we have a different user

- KB2119606 - add administraor@vsphere.local to DC Admins group

Hopefully this may help some others.

Pittendrigh
Contributor
Contributor

Three things :-

- If you are installing on a virtual machine, dont install VMWare tools on the machine before you start

- Pay attention when the installation program tells you that ports are required to be available and attend to the firewall configuration

- There is a known TCP IP stack issue KB2911106

This was from a basic virgin Server 2012 R2 standard installation.

Bon Voyage

Donald Pittendrigh

0 Kudos