VMware Cloud Community
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Installation of SQL Server for Virtual Center Server

Hi All,

We have purchased 16x2 processor licenses for ESX server. So i am going to prepare a Virutal Center Server database for managing 16 hosts. As SQL Server 2005 Express is installed during the installation of Virtual Center Server but VMware recommends to use this only for 5 hosts.

So I would like to prepare a SQL server database for VC, please help me how can I make the database for Virtual center server. Are there are special tables, configuration, permissions required. i have no experience with databases so how should I go with it. Is there any guide for it. The installation guide of ESX server only explains creating the ODBC connections.

Please help me in this regard i would be highly obliged.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
M__Y_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I know that the procedure is restrited to 2 steps (1 and 2) in page 68 but you must install and configure SQL Server at your enterprise standard (I suppose application on C: or 😧 and data/log on E:). I will not explain you better how to install SQL Server on a server. For the SQL Server database:

• Step 1: you create a database storing the files on the appropriated disk (with at least 30 GB) with a default database size at the size defined by the "calculator" (value + 15% on the line of your statistic level choice).

• Step 2: On your Microsoft SQL Server, create a SQL Server database user with database operator (DBO) rights.The default database for the DBO user is what you defined in Step 1.Make sure the database user has either a sysadmin server role or the db_ownerfixed database role on the VirtualCenter database and the MSDB database.The db_owner role on the MSDB database is required for installation and upgradeonly. This role can be revoked after the installation or upgrade process iscompleted.

The user must be created at your enterprise standard as a service account (password never expire) with a complex and long password.

Others steps in the document are for the ODBC connection.

The creation of the tables is made during VC installation. Nothing to do. One special thing is to not stop the SQL Server agent because some tasks are scheduled in the database to "compact" the statistics.

FYI, the database is upgraded during installation of VC patches creating new tables, updating data type or...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
M__Y_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

You will find explanations on supported versions of Server Server (p. 19) and ODBC connections (p. 68) in this guide:

Tool to estime SQL Server database:

The tool will not estimate the database log size. Be sure to have at least 30GB on the data disk.

Regards.

itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi M.Y.

Thanks for your email the tool provided is very beneficial. What i wanted to do is to creat SQL Database for the Virtual Center server, please explain what is the procedure of creating SQL database for VC?

What are the steps involved, are there any tables to be created and settings required?

Is there any specific guide for that i have already downloaded the ESX 3 installation guide but it only explains the procedure to create ODBC connection it doesn't give any detailed instructions if we would like to install & configure SQL server for VC.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
M__Y_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I know that the procedure is restrited to 2 steps (1 and 2) in page 68 but you must install and configure SQL Server at your enterprise standard (I suppose application on C: or 😧 and data/log on E:). I will not explain you better how to install SQL Server on a server. For the SQL Server database:

• Step 1: you create a database storing the files on the appropriated disk (with at least 30 GB) with a default database size at the size defined by the "calculator" (value + 15% on the line of your statistic level choice).

• Step 2: On your Microsoft SQL Server, create a SQL Server database user with database operator (DBO) rights.The default database for the DBO user is what you defined in Step 1.Make sure the database user has either a sysadmin server role or the db_ownerfixed database role on the VirtualCenter database and the MSDB database.The db_owner role on the MSDB database is required for installation and upgradeonly. This role can be revoked after the installation or upgrade process iscompleted.

The user must be created at your enterprise standard as a service account (password never expire) with a complex and long password.

Others steps in the document are for the ODBC connection.

The creation of the tables is made during VC installation. Nothing to do. One special thing is to not stop the SQL Server agent because some tasks are scheduled in the database to "compact" the statistics.

FYI, the database is upgraded during installation of VC patches creating new tables, updating data type or...

0 Kudos
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi M.Y.

Thanks for the information provided. I got the answer. one thing more we have the following license . doens it include VC license or we have to purchase it seperately.

441596-B21

VMware VI3 Enterprise 8x2P License + PEVMS with 1-year 9x5 SnS

And what this SnS and PEVMS means.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
M__Y_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It does not include VC licence. It is a separated licence that you must acquire.

More details on ESX licences on http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/key_features_35.pdf (please read note 7 in page 9 for vCenter/VC).

SnS = Support aNd Software update.

Others answers in the product description:

HP VMware Infrastructure Enterprise Edition (V.3) 8x2P BL with ProLiant Essentials Virtualization Management Software 441596-B21

The item is brand new

HP Part Number: 441596-B21

*VMware Infrastructure Enterprise Edition - ( v. 3 ) - w/ ProLiant

Essentials Virtualization Management Software - license + 1 Year 9x5

Support - 2 processors - Linux, Win, NW (pack of 8 )*

PRODUCT: VMware VI3 Enterprise 8x2P License + PEVMS with 1-year 9x5 SnS

INCLUDES: (8) VI3 Enterprise 2P licenses and

1-year 9x5 unlimited technical software support and updates

LICENSE QTY: 8 x 2 P

• VMware INFRASTRUCTURE 3 Enterprise is the industry leading standard

virtualization SW solution

• Enterprise bundles Distributed Resource Scheduler, High Availability,

& Consolidated Backup with ESX Standard

• Includes standard 1-year 9x5 unlimited SW support and update services

ProLiant Essentials Virtualization Management Software (PEVMS)

• Virtualization + Management made easy

• PEVMS is HP's industry leading virtualization management SW

enabling an integrated approach to manage both physical

and virtual resources from a single management console

(PEVMS) provides central mgt & control of your VMware virtual machines

HP 1-year 9x5 unlimited technical software support and updates for all major and minor versions available from VMware

0 Kudos
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bundle of Thanks.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos