VMware Cloud Community
dominoforever
Contributor
Contributor

Install vcenter4 SQL

Hello,

I read a post yesterday but I connot reply so I'm writing a new one.

I have to upgrade to vcenter4, could you please tell me if it is better to install SQL locally on the same VM. Because I have a VM with SQL Server 2005 SP3 and I would like to use it if I won't have problems.

Kind regards,

Sébastien

0 Kudos
4 Replies
f10
Expert
Expert

Hi,

If you are installing vCenter DB on the same VM as vCenter then the processor and memory requirements might be higher so if needed increase the shares/values for memory/cpu. The administrative tasks like maintaining permissions would be easy if you have the DB installed on the same VM.

I am not aware of any known configuration issues if DB is remote or local, just ensure that you backup the DB regularly and plan the size of DB before it is created.

You can find more information here, http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
timemachine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It should be fine.....though vmware recommends that you have the vc database on a seperate machine than the Vc itself, it should bbe  okay if your setup is not very huge.....only if you have a very huge infrastructure with hundreds of VMs and >25 ESX machines managed from the VC tehn u need to have the DB on a seperate machhine than vc itself.

TM

0 Kudos
dominoforever
Contributor
Contributor

I have just 4 ESX with more than 60 VMs. So I can install the database on the same server that the VC. But I would like to use one of my SQL Server, because I don't want to buy a new license for SQL.

0 Kudos
timemachine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

It should be fine to have sql and vc on same server provided u have enough cpu ram disk space n/w bandwidth etc...just need to ensure that you provide the VC application the resources it requires and no ports required by vc are used by any other aapplicatn u may want to esure that all basic resource req mentioned in vmware dox are given to vc thts it.

TM

0 Kudos