VMware Cloud Community
M1nd3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Install vCenter server on windows server 2019

Hello, i am trying to install vCenter server 7 using ESXi 7 web interface. I uploaded ISO file for vCenter server installation. First tried to create separate virtual machine and add ISO file to DVD disk, but it didn't work. So on the virtual machine (3 CPU and 550 GB storage and 4096 RAM) with windows server 2019 installed on that virtual machine. Replaced ISO file of windows with ISO file of vCenter server. Now i could access it as dvd drive in devices and drivers. Located installer in win32 folder and start the installation setup. All was good up to step 5 - Select deployment size.

Error displayed is: A problem occurred while reading the OVA file: Error : invalid XML.

I read somewhere that command sudo dnf install libnsl helps.

But as far as i understand that's Linux command. I tried it in command prompt and it doesn't understand sudo neither dnf.

Is there something similar for windows or am i doing something wrong? Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

There might be a misunderstanding on your side because they changed something in the past.

1. The result is always a running vCenter Server which is a Linux based Appliance for years now. VMware have its own distri and its named PhotonOS
  2. The vCenter installation ISO contains GUI and Commandline installer for Windows, OSX and Linux. (Not sure if there is a GUI for Linux and OSX)

You mount or extract the ISO on windows and move into the GUI/Win32 folder and click onto the installer.exe. The following wizard will guide you through the process to deploying the VCSA based on a  OVF to a Host or vCenter.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nmiklebost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It sounds like you are trying to install vcenter iso on the windows machine. That will not work and those commands are for a linux system. I would install vcenter on a Photon OS box.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

There might be a misunderstanding on your side because they changed something in the past.

1. The result is always a running vCenter Server which is a Linux based Appliance for years now. VMware have its own distri and its named PhotonOS
  2. The vCenter installation ISO contains GUI and Commandline installer for Windows, OSX and Linux. (Not sure if there is a GUI for Linux and OSX)

You mount or extract the ISO on windows and move into the GUI/Win32 folder and click onto the installer.exe. The following wizard will guide you through the process to deploying the VCSA based on a  OVF to a Host or vCenter.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos