VMware Cloud Community
Mark_P_Werner
Contributor
Contributor

Install process of vCenter Server 4.0 and 4.0 Update 1 might not be completed on Windows Server 2008

When trying to install vCenter 4 U1 on Windows Server 2008 x64 Data Center Edition we are recieving the error as indicated in VMware KB 1013822.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1013822

We enable Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services but still receive the error when trying to install vCenter.

Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mark_P_Werner
Contributor
Contributor

We have now tried install of VC4 & VC 4 U1 on W2K8 x32 NOT R2 as well as W2K8 x64 R2 and still receive the errors as indicated in VMware KB 1013822. Have tried the solution listed in VMware KB 1013822 over and over and it does not correct the error. Also, have put a call into VMware support. However we have had no resolution from them either.

The error message received as indicated in VMware KB 1013822 almost leads you to believe that VC is trying to be installed in linked mode and/or join another VC. However, that is not what we are trying to do. We are trying to install VC in standalone mode. The error message as indicated in VMware KB 1013822 also makes appear as though the VC installer does not have permissions to create the AD LDS instance that it is trying to create. We have even tried created that instance manually.

No luck.

Has anyone else gotten around this?

0 Kudos
AWoroch2
Contributor
Contributor

Well at least I'm not alone. VMware indicated there might be an issue with my 2008 install and permissions - so I rebuilt the system, named it and gave it a different IP to prevent any sort of conflict with the previous name/IP in AD. No luck. Worse yet the installer references the JOINTOOL-0.LOG - which I assume would be in %TEMP% or C:\windows\temp - no such file exists.

Anyone get vCenter 4.0 U1 installed on 2008 x86?

0 Kudos