VMware Cloud Community
mcdonab
Contributor
Contributor

Install Vmware tools across multiple Vm's

Is this a dumb question? Is there a way to install the tools quickly across multiple Windows VM's? It's really annoying having to do each one individually, so I'm just assuming there's away. thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

If you have VirtualCenter there is a command there to install tools across an entire DC/Host/VM if you want. I believe it is vmware-vmupgrade.exe.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

This is correct.

vmware-vmupgrade is your kiddy.

I've used this to upgrade vm's hardware & tools at the same time to VI3, but I see no reason why it can't simply be used for the tools.

vmware-vmupgrade -o 905 -u administrator -h "xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx"

Where xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx is the address of the host

0 Kudos
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

Yes... my memory is still solid! I'm graying, but at least my mind is sharp Smiley Happy

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
BrianRTS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is what I get when I try to run that command...

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter 2.0>vmware-vmupgrade -o 902 -u flabr03 -h "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

Enter password for flabr03:

Connecting to VirtualCenter server on local port 902

Looking for VMs on host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...

Failed to upgrade: failed to find object at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I've tried all of my ESX hosts and I definately have VM's running on the hosts in question. Im running ESX 3.01 all patched up and VC 2.01 SP2.

Message was edited by: flabr03 - Removed IP's

BrianRTS

0 Kudos
BrianRTS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually.. got it to somewhat work when I use the -n flag however it wont work because all the VM's have to be shut down? There is no mass Tools upgrade procedure?

0 Kudos
ian4563
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can select whatever VM's you want in VC, then right click to install tools. I have done this to upgrade to newer version of VM tools.

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is how I would do a vmware-update:

Per-ESX Host based VMware Tools Update[/b]

1. Power down the VMs you wish to update

2. Logon to the VirtualCenter Server

3. Open a command prompt to

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter 2.0

vmware-vmupgrade.exe -u vi3book\administrator -p vmware -h "London DataCenter/Intel Hosts/Intel Cluster/esx1.vi3book.com" –m 2 –t 10

The switches –u and –p are required and they set the user name and password to authenticate against VirtualCenter. The –h switch is also required and it sets the path to an ESX host within the Inventory. In this case all powered off VMs running on esx1.vi3book.com will be updated.

The switches –m and –t are optional and set how many VMs can be simultaneously updated and how long VMs are allow to stay powered on (in mins). This deals with the issue of VMs that will not power down gracefully.

Per-VM based VMware Tools Update[/b]

1. Power down the VMs you wish to update

2. Logon to the VirtualCenter Server

3. Open a command prompt to

Type:

vmware-vmupgrade.exe

-u vi3book\administrator -p vmware

-n "London DataCenter/Mike's VMs/vm1"

-n "London DataCenter/Mike's VMs/vm2"

-n "London DataCenter/Mike's VMs/vm3"

-n "London DataCenter/Mike's VMs/vm4"

-n "London DataCenter/Mike's VMs/vm5"

-n "London DataCenter/Mike's VMs/vm6"

Note:

As you can see with the –n switch we can specify multiple VMs, and yes, you must specify –n each and every time!

Unfortunately, in this release it is not possible to specify simply a folder have VirtualCenter assume that every VM in that folder (and subfolder) is update with a new Version of VMware Tools.

GOTCHAS:

There some couple of frequent errors people see with vmware-vmupgrade. Firstly, remember the VMs have to be powered off first, if not the tool will give you this error message:

“London DataCenter/Mike's VMs/vm1: Cannot upgrade. VM is not powered-off”

Secondly, people often forget to input the / to indicate the end of one object in the VirtualCenter inventory and the start of another. If you do this you will get this type of error message:

“Failed to upgrade: failed to find object at London DataCenter\Mike's VMs\vm1”

Lastly, the last most common error is failing to authenticate with VirtualCenter correctly.

“Failed to connect to VirtualCenter server: vim.fault.InvalidLogin”

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
rock_larson
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

How do we specify the VM path using -n?. I tried giving "Hosts & Clusters/DataCenterName/ClusterName/VMName" but it always throws the error "Failed to upgrade: failed to find object at ...path...>

I tried removing ClusterName, tried specifying 'virtual machines and templates' in place of 'Hosts & Clusters' above but i still get same message. Am i missing any syntax?

Thanks

0 Kudos