VMware Cloud Community
andromeda7383
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Install O.S via the Virtual CD Drive (mounted thru Magic ISO) of Virtual Centre

Hi!

Have a quick question here.

I have an ISO image mounted on my Virtual centre virtual CD Drive via the Magic ISO software. I have created a new virtual machine and want to install the O.S via the Virtual centre virtual CD drive.

Is this possible - if so how? I am aware that I can insert the CD to the ESX host CD drive and install.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Regards

Hugo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

...if the media is attached somehow whether a direct mount or a mounting via a share, then that is ok. As long as you have "connect at power" on set, you should be ok. Have you confirmed the media is in fact bootable?

where are you launching the VIC from? Try to copy that .iso to the desktop and then mount it from there.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can't create VM's within your vCenter Host Server. Use the Virtual Infrastructure Client pointing it to the hostname/IP of your vCenter Host. Once logged in that is where you will create your VM's and you can use the "client" feature to mount the .iso from your desktop.

maybe this will help

0 Kudos
andromeda7383
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi! Thank you for the reply. Iam not looking to create a VM with the VCenter Host server.

Let me be clear - I have an ESX server and a Virtual Centre Server. Now both these servers hardware cannot be accessible to be.

I logged into the Virtual Centre server via the RDP and mounted the ISO image via the MagicISO.

I then used the Virtual Centre to login and and created a new VM on my ESX host - now Iam ready to power it ON and isntall the O.S.

So, my question is how to access the virtual CD drive which is mounted on the Virtual Centre server?

Hugo

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

just use the virtual CD/DVD Drive that is attached to the guest you just deployed. If you want to get to the .iso file just use a UNC Path baack to where the .iso resides.

0 Kudos
andromeda7383
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you explain what u meant by "If you want to get to the .iso file just use a UNC Path baack to where the .iso resides"

Where can I give the UNC path?

I tried "Edit setting" on VM and the CD/DVD Drive 1 is set to client device - when I power ON the VM I clicked Conenct Cd/DVD1 and pointed it to my Virtual CD Drive which has the ISO - the BIOS of the VM is set to search for CD drive first while booting, But it looks like the CD drive is being skipped and its going to network boot.

Any idea why this is happening? Much appreciate your help

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

...if the media is attached somehow whether a direct mount or a mounting via a share, then that is ok. As long as you have "connect at power" on set, you should be ok. Have you confirmed the media is in fact bootable?

where are you launching the VIC from? Try to copy that .iso to the desktop and then mount it from there.

0 Kudos
andromeda7383
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

okey got it! Thanks a lot - appreciate your help.

Points to ya!

Hugo

0 Kudos