VMware Cloud Community
Aegis
Contributor
Contributor

Infrastrucutre Client Update Error

Hi all,

I am currently having problems logging in to our virtual centre server. I have downloaded the infrastructure client from one of our esx servers, when i attempt to login to the virtual centre i am told the client needs to be updated. I click ok and the update is downloaded, it then comes back with an error as follows as it is trying to install the update:

"error reading setup initialization file"

The update then stops so i cant log in to the virtual centre from this machine, any ideas???

Andy

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you tried going to the FQDN or IP of your vCenter Server and just dowloading the client and doing a standalone install?

Aegis
Contributor
Contributor

Will try that thanks. Although for some reason when i browse to the IP of the virtual centre server using IE it gives me a bizarre certificate error!!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

just ignore the certificate error and "Continue to this website", there, under Getting Started, you will be able to download the VIC.

Aegis
Contributor
Contributor

Its not the usual certficate error you would comes across (see attached), strange but you can simply click cancel and continue anyway!!

0 Kudos
Aegis
Contributor
Contributor

Sorted now thanx having downloaded the client from the vc again. It is a newer version than the esx version and asks if you want to enable the update feature. Nothing like taking an hour to do 30 seconds work!!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I don't enable the update feature, but that's just me. My vCenter server is where I download the VIC and it's always at our above the build level of my ESX hosts.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

One other thing.... You could always get the client from the vCenter media. It's located under the vpx folder.

0 Kudos