VMware Cloud Community
PeteyBoy23
Contributor
Contributor

Increased LUN size, how do I increase VMFS volume to take advantage of it?

I increased the size of a LUN that contains our vCenter server, and now I want to increase the VMFS volume to match, but I'm not seeing how. Can someone give me some insight into this please? Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are we talking about local or shared storage?

You can create a bigger LUN and do storage vmotion of you data to the bigger LUN.

And if you do not need the small LUN anymore, verify, that no data is located on it and delete it.

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
PeteyBoy23
Contributor
Contributor

Alright, clearly I didn't give enough info. For that, I apologize. Thanks for giving it a stab without that info Smiley Happy

We're talking about a LUN provided by an EQL iSCSI box, so it's shared storage.

I don't have licensing for Storage VMotion, can I just shut it down and migrate to another LUN? (I can't see why not, but I'm asking anyway)

Yep, once it's not in use I'll delete it.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ok have vcenter access to the new LUN?

If yes you can do it with e.g. FastSCP, with this you can copy all your files over to the new datastore, or you can take this with the vmconverter!

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
ICT-Freak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you are running ESX 4 you're able to increase the VMFS volume. Connect with the vSphere client to an ESX host who has access to the VMFS volume you want to increase. Go to the configuration tab -> Storage -> Datastores -> Select the lun you want to increase and press properties. Now click on the Increase button and follow the wizard.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos